Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
Long Yearling

Help - Riding in the Pasture

Howdy All!

Phil and I were talking - we are getting very excited because Spirit will be coming home soon so we will have two rideable horses - Bo and Spirit - we will finally be able to ride together on our land. We were talking about how it was going to be riding in our pasture. We used to ride at our friends ranch (she had 200 acres) and all of the horses always decided to participate on our rides (she had a herd of about 10 or so). Sometimes it was a bit awkward because one of the horses not being ridden would get pushy and try to bother the horses we were riding which did not make for a very relaxful ride.

Chase, our wonderful mustang gelding will be off for training after Spirit arrives. But the day will come when he is home in our pasture when we are riding other horses. Chase is a great people horse but he has TERRIBLE ground manners which is totally my fault because I have not had any time to work with him. He likes to crowd all the other horses and has no respect for being led. He also likes to bite everybody (equine that is ) in the butt. He is not overly aggressive like he wants to hurt them, he just does it - even to the filly. Its more like a school yard bully marching onto the playground wanting to make sure everyone knows he has arrived.

Once Chase gets the training he deserves I know he will be a much better horse citizen, but I am willing to bet he will still want to aggravate the other horses (even those being ridden) if he is loose in the pasture while people are riding. I am wondering if anyone has this problem (and moving all the horses to different pastures when we want to ride is not an option in the main pasture which is about 35 acres.) We also have the front fifteen acres to ride in but it is not a "horse safe" pasture - not yet anyway. We could put him in the round pen while we are riding but it would be nice not to have to do that every time. Any suggestions for how to handle a horse who is "bugging" the horses being ridden in the same pasture? Can we correct him from the back of the horse being ridden somehow without scaring the horse we are riding? Any training techniques we can do?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Visit us at www.goldencrossranch.com
Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Weanling Member

Well you can always take out a riding crop with you and tap the "bugging" horse with it when he comes to bother you.

But, I would say wait and see how he is and what he does after he gets back from training. He could be a totally different horse to other horses and on the ground once he's done his training.

A horse Remembers what happened, before what happened, happened. ~Ken Schmuland~
Gallamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
Bombproof Member

I might suggest this to whomever will be training him. Let them know of the crowding and biting issue. I would think it might be advantagious to pony him on a seasoned mount that will teach him proper manners when riding in a group. Some lessons to an equine I feel are best taught with an equine. Especially for him having mustang breeding, being taught in a group herd setting may best learned and remembered.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Long Yearling

Thanks seerfarm! I'll just let eieio know

Visit us at www.goldencrossranch.com
Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Thanks seerfarm! I'll just let eieio know

If anyone can instill manners, she sure will..

You can also put him in an arena or round pen at riding time with a flake of hay - he will love it and so will you while you ride..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training