Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Newborn Member

broken neck?

my horse broke his neck about 2 months ago and has been on stall rest for about 2 months i know that most horses get more ansy in the winter but now everytime i go to walk him down the road for some exercise he runs me over. i cant move the lead rope any or he will freak out and throw up up his head hurting his neck!!! do any of u guys know wat i should do to correct him or just let him do it and correct him wen he is suppose to recover!!(DECEMBER)?? ur help is greatly appreciated!!! i have no idea wat to do with him!!!

<title edited to remove excess punctuation. Additionally, you might want to go back and proofread your post to make it more easily read by forum members wanting to give advice>
florida_chick589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
Bombproof Member

Try not taking him down the road and waling him in a more confined area.
You can also try before taking him out, brushing and rubbing down to relax him before a walk.

IMO, I would not try much since he freaks and his neck has been broken. Can do more harm than damage at this time.
Its going to be hard at this point in his recovery.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Bombproof Member

Hmmm, that's a tough one. It's important to maintain ground manners at all times, but you might be in a tough spot with the recovery.

Do you have another more experienced person around you can get advice from such as a barn manager or the vet?
Lady_MCSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
Pasture Pet

Ask your vet about a suitable tranq you can use when you need to walk your horse. He is likely legitimately too exited to be out of his stall to be safe for himself or for you. Many horses coming off stall rest are better off being tranqued for the first little wise so they do not reinjure themselves when they get to go back to work/turn out. It is important you talk to your vet first though!

Karen2
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:03 AM   #5
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta
Ask your vet about a suitable tranq you can use when you need to walk your horse. He is likely legitimately too exited to be out of his stall to be safe for himself or for you. Many horses coming off stall rest are better off being tranqued for the first little wise so they do not reinjure themselves when they get to go back to work/turn out. It is important you talk to your vet first though!

Karen2
Ditto

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:14 AM   #6
Started

In addition to what others have said, evaluate his feed situation. Although he needs adequate nutrition to heal, if you're still feeding him enough grain or high energy food as if he were working, he might have too much energy from that. You might check with your vet and see if he (she) can recemmend a suitable diet for recovery. I'm really curious.....How did he break his neck?
Mule Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Bombproof Member

The only concern I would have about drugging him would be that feeling no pain, with the type of injury he has, doing more damage to his neck.

Best advice given, talk with your Vet.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
Coming two

Yea definatly talk to your vet about a sedative.

My horse was laid up for a few weeks with stitches and the vet gave us sedatives in the form of pills. I was scared he would go nuts the first time I put him back out. Sedatives definatly helped.

Jena <3
babycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Greenbroke Member

Many sedatives do nothing or very little for pain. In the last 5-8 years there has been a huge movement in the veterinary field in the management of pain. Talk to your vet. He knows the horse better than any of us.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
Started

oveywon is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training