Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #1
Long Yearling

Preparing My Yearling For Halter

I would like to have some advice as to how I might best prepare my yearling to show in halter next season. What are some things I could be doing over the winter as far as exercising, feed, supplements, etc. Thanks!

My house is where I live, but I'm at home in the saddle.
horses-n-greyhoundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
Seasoned

For anything halter-related, I respect Linebacker55's opinion. Maybe PM her and ask what the best thing to do is.
Now I'm sure that my methods are antiquated at best , but I would start with a lot of ponying at the trot to help build muscle tone, if he's not broke to ride, and maybe sweat his neck and pour the feed to him. A nice balanced feed with plenty of fat to give his coat a nice shine. And keep him blanketed, but that's kind of a no-brainer. I dunno, other than that, you've got to ask somebody else!
I know I already posted it on the other thread about him, but he sure is a nice colt. Congrats!
miss leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Lots of work at the trot builds the best, even muscle tone. But work your horse up to it gradually. Don't immediately start with a whole 10 or 15 minutes of trotting of course.

Feed is equally important. A good balanced feed is best, especially since your horse is still growing.

Not sure if you plan on riding at 2 or not. But generally horses that are used for Halter are not ridden (not saying that they cant be or shouldnt be! ) as riding build different muslce tone in different areas than what training and fitting for Halter does.

I feed as much Alfalfa as they will eat. I keep it in front of them. Feed twice a day and lunge every other day. I also neck sweat them daily. I leave a jowl sweat on them 24/7 whenever there is not a neck sweat on.

That is how I was taught and it works well for me. Although I am sure LB or JSlow will be around soon to offer better, more experienced advice!

Brittany
Old 10-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
Seasoned

apparently I flunked sex-ed, as Linebacker55 is a HIM not a HER...

sorry LB. my bad.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Yearling Member

The other advice given is very good, I can add a little bit to that. To develope a good rearend I like to back the horse up for about 50 or 60 feet and go forward. Repeating that often. If you're round penning, think about changing direction often and do a ton of transitions from walk to trot, trot to canter. this will focus his energy to his rearend and move much lighter overall. You can also do this if you're ponying.

I usually feed a 10% protein - 11% fat balance feed. I do not have any corn in my feed either. Good quality hay, of course. I use an alfalfa/orchard grass mix.

A thick throatlatch and or neck needs to be sweated.
visionquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Started

Send a message via AIM to Linebacker55
To get your horse fit up for halter you have to honestly find a diet that works for you. Do you have a full range of feed and hay available to you? Many do not if they are at a boarding barn.

Right now we feed our show and performance horses Nutrena Safe Choice, it is a lower startch feed that has 14% protein. We also feed alfalfa mix hay to them, and sometimes straight alfalfa. As far as supplements we typically feed a probiotic type feed such as Orange Superior by DAC, or CRS Gold to help them in that area. Ideally if possible to feed 3-4 times a day is the best, We are not able to do that at this time, so they only are fed 2x a day.

As far as working them, a yearling is pretty young and fragile. You may want to free lunge them in a round pen, make sure you go both ways. If you use a lunge line, get him to go at a hard trot so that he is working himself good,and getting a work out. Do this both ways. But when you start you may have to only go 3 or 4 min in each direction and work your way up to 8-10 min in each direction. Just make sure the circles are as large as you can get them.

If you have other means to pony, be it a ATV or a horse, but ATV is better as the lead horse will nto tire, you can trot them for roughly the same lenght of time. Just be careful when breaking them to pony!!

You really have to tailor the work out and stuff to your specific horse. To win at halter you want to be big, but you need to be fit. That Soggy look is not winning like it once was, they want bigger and muscled horses. As was said, if you need to work on his hind end back him up. the best is up a hill, but if not about 60 or so yards and I would do it several times!

If you need to sweat his neck you will have to be consistant with it, and make sure you only sweat the neck, do not sweat his shoulders like some sweats do!! Also make sure you wash his neck off everytime you sweat, you do not want to get him with any fungus or anything goofy like that.

Groom Groom Groom and then when you are done, groom him again!

I am sure I left some stuff out, so feel free to ask questions. I am sure many people on here can help ya out!! Ron also really knows his stuff!! But it is nice that people think we know what we are doing! Even if they do not know I am the guy and jsslow is the woman!
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Linebacker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Long Yearling

Wow...awesome advice. So, when you look at this guy....River is what I call him, what do you see that I need to do in particular? What do you see as strengths and weaknesses? He is exactly 1.5 years old in the last pic. The first one was taken around a month ago by his previous owner. I feel I can see maturity in the second pic which was taken by me last week.

Six weeks later:

BTW, no grab line is needed any longer. He had not been handled a whole lot when I brought him home. He has warmed up to human attention like a pig to slop.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
Started

Well he will need some Size to him for sure. So get the groceries to him, and get those muscles built up. You will need to start sweating his neck for sure also.

He has a nice head and a good topline, and the rest of what he needs shuold come with the muscle and size.

The pictures are hard to tell, but he seems like he might tie in good on his neck, but it is really hard to say.

Ideally we would like to see him as squared up as possible and with his head looking out, kind of a halter pose.

That is something you will also really need to work on, is the ability to get him to trot with you and to set up nice and square and the patients to stand nice, with his ears up!
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Old 10-24-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
Seasoned

He's got a great hip on him and his legs look very correct. With some conditioning and good grub, I would be willing to bet he'll make a halter horse. Get some good stuff to put on that booboo on his forehead (yes, I saw it! ), so the hair will grow back in time for show season.

LB said it all, really. Ponying, I've found, works great for youngsters. I swear by it. My cousin has a mare that, when she was a yearling and 2 year old, she ponied her alongside her rodeo horses as she was loping them to keep them fit. That mare has muscle tone like nobody's business! She was genetically predisposed to being big, though (Sir Raleigh and Skipper W lines, along with some Sugar Bars), but her full sister didn't get the ponying she did and just never got as big. One of the mysteries of horses, I guess.

I'd just like to add one thing to LB's post. Leg wraps. Sports medicine boots, in his size, with over-reach protection, bell boots or skid boots. Just to make sure he doesn't grind his fetlocks off. Blankets and tail bags, of course, and sweats and on and on and ON... oh, the fun of halter! I always liked it, really, but never got into it. I'm more of a rodeo girl myself. Too bad, because I really love shining up a pretty horse.

Good luck with your new guy, he's sure nice! Congrats, again, for like the 3rd time.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss leanne
. Get some good stuff to put on that booboo on his forehead (yes, I saw it! )

Did you read what happened to him??? On my way home with him, Sunday before last, he slipped in the trailer and became stuck under the divider!!! I had to locate a vet (some 150 miles from home) who helped me with some banamine. and vet check, and helped me get the divider out. Anyhow, he obtained that nasty scrape, plus a couple of booboos on his front knees.

I was very proud to see that he kept his composure the whole while and allowed us to do all we needed to help him out. I thought that spoke well of him.

I do LOVE the babydolling and pampering it takes to keep a horse shining. I think I could really get into this.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #11
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses-n-greyhoundz

I do LOVE the babydolling and pampering it takes to keep a horse shinning. I think I could really get into this.
Good because you are really going to use it alot getting a horse ready for halter!!! LOTS of grooming to get that coat looking good!

You may also need to add a fat supplmenet to the diet. We have used Empower in the past to keep coats nice and shiney!
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Old 10-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
Seasoned

Hey, know what I would invest in if I were into halter horses? A grooming vacuum. I was thinking about it (a long time ago!) just for my rodeo horses, but nobody really cared what they looked like besides me anyway...
Old 10-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss leanne
Hey, know what I would invest in if I were into halter horses? A grooming vacuum. I was thinking about it (a long time ago!) just for my rodeo horses, but nobody really cared what they looked like besides me anyway...
Funny thing is that I about said that too. But they are so dang expensive!!! We actually did not bath a few of our horses for the first 4 shows since it was still so dang cold!!!!

Vaccumes are awesome for grooming, but go SLOW, some horses freak out!
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #14
Long Yearling

While we are at it, can I sneak my 6 month old APHA filly in on you all for another opinion? She is Zippo Pine Bars on her QH side. Both parents have been shown and placed at the World Paint show. Dam in trail and sire in halter. I know she doesn'thave the flash my yearling has, but she is a complete joy to work with...sharp as a tack.

:

Old 10-24-2006, 07:42 PM   #15
Started

WOW that little one is a cutie, but she sure does have a hay belly. When did you last worm her? She would need quite a bit of fitting up, not sure how well she would do in halter. I can see alot of Zippo coming through in her. She looks to be a little long in the front pasterns or maybe the angle is off something about them throws me. Seems to have a nice neck so far, but when they are 6 months old it is VERY difficult to assess what they are going to look like in just a few weeks.
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Old 10-24-2006, 07:57 PM   #16
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linebacker55
WOW that little one is a cutie, but she sure does have a hay belly. When did you last worm her? She would need quite a bit of fitting up, not sure how well she would do in halter. I can see alot of Zippo coming through in her. She looks to be a little long in the front pasterns or maybe the angle is off something about them throws me. Seems to have a nice neck so far, but when they are 6 months old it is VERY difficult to assess what they are going to look like in just a few weeks.
In fear of her being wormy, I Safegaurded her for 5 days straight about a week and a half ago. The two pics of her by herself were before that. The one with River (my yearling) is most recent. I had kept her regularly wormed, but her belly was really bothering me. She is/was not even on free choice hay....two flakes of bermuda 2xs daily. BUT, I discovered that where I had been temporarily keeping her had ALOT of acorns, so I am wondering if that could have been helping with that belly as well...???

Anyhow, she is not with the acorns any longer, and I have started ponying her beside my 4-wheeler. She is looking better.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #17
Seasoned

I think that filly looks like a solid little all around prospect. I agree, she needs some fitting, if she's going to halter. Maybe she'll make a longe line prospect? She needs a bit more top line muscle, and I'm also not sure about her pasterns. But her neck, head and shoulders are excellent, proportionate and all the angles are correct, which is a trait of the Zippo horses. I'd like to see a picture of her from behind, she looks like she may be just a fuzz cow hocked, but I'm not sure.
I'd bet that, with time and conditioning, she'll end up every bit as pretty as the colt. You've got your work cut out for you, that's for sure, but I bet they both turn out beautifully.

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training