Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #1
Weanling Member

How to....teach a horse to stand square?????

This question may have been posted before, if so could someone please point me in the right direction......

How do I go about teaching my 2 yr old filly to stand square for a halter class????
Old 07-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Start with her hindlegs. Get them aligned first. Then placing your right hand on her withers, use your left hand to gently apply pressure to move her front legs into place. You can use the toe of your boot to help her along the way. Sometimes you may have to manually pick up her leg and set it in place.

Begin by making her stand this way for a couple minutes. Praise her like crazy. Once she does it well, move on to a few more minutes.

Eventually she should be able to stand this way for long periods. I can get my yearling filly to stand that way for up to 30 minutes without budging. It takes alot of practice, but once they get it its pretty easy to keep up.

Are you planning on showing your horse soon?

Brittany
Old 07-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Coming two

I tried to teach my horse to stand square. But I'm ashamed to admit I gave up pretty quick. It doesn't really matter to me since I don't plan on showing him in halter, and hey I don't like to stand "squarely" either . Maybe I'l try teaching him and myself again.

But when I was trying to teach him someone told me it can help to back him up to a wall. Maybe this will help?

Jena <3
babycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Started

First teach your filly patience, and to stand still. Teach her that whoa means don't move a muscle until I say so. Do start with the hind feet first. Just be very consistent every time. Use some cue that means move your feet. I had a gelding that I taught two kisses means hind foot, one means front. He became so good at it that, as soon as you turned toward him, he automatically set up. Anyways, you can pull their head to you, which shifts their weight, and they pick up their left foot. Move their head away from you, and they move their right foot. It's a balance thing. My horses are like SMS machienes. I practiced it every time I stopped them, I made them set up. There's not a whole not more to it, once you have the basics down, it's just perfecting it from there.

Horses & Horsepower www.freewebs.com/mustangali_/
"...just like computers refuse to understand how I'm feeling today"
allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:28 AM   #5
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison
First teach your filly patience, and to stand still. Teach her that whoa means don't move a muscle until I say so.
Excellent advice. I think this is the key right here. First of all, I don't work on it until I am sure that the horse is really halter broken (standing, tied, at various paces, etc.) Then, like Allison said, practice with the colt standing still after whoa. And he should stand still while you move around him, play with his ears, touch his legs, move a foot, etc. Once he learns to stand until you give the cue to move, then squaring him becomes much easier.
Luv2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training