Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Yearling Member

Head down?

So my new gelding has had a fair amount of time off, generally due to other horses beating up on him

He has always been a more go than whoa type ride & very reactive - usually vocal commands will speed him up. & he tends to carry his head a little high

But he was off all of June (injury) 1st ride after was normal, 2nd ride lasted 10 min as he was being a knob (high strung, feeling good type behaviour). I got off & worked him med hard (not full out hard as he was coming back from an injury) & lunged him 4 days before riding 3rd time

3rd time he started this odd behaviour - dropping his head down to the ground after being warmed up. He did it at a jog too & he was much harder than normal to keep moving.

At first I pulled his head up as I thought he was going to launch me, but he was not agitated, no other bad behaviour, no ear pinning, tail swishing etc

Then he was off for another month (this time thanks to a bad trim). First ride, no lunging & within 15 min of walking, down went the head again & he was very pokey to trot ( had to keep bumping him)

2nd ride was a trail ride & he kept his head up & was back to more go than whoa

Old farrier thinks horse wants to buck, BO thinks he's relaxed, possibly trained to keep his head way down,based only on my description, neither have seen him ridden

Trainer friend who has ridden him ( but not with head down behaviour), asked if I tranq'd him lol

Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Tack is the same & fits well, his feet may be tender but there is no overt signs of lameness Feed is same except I just started given B1 due to his more high strung behaviour. He didn't have it when the head down thing started
Josie.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:21 AM   #2
Kid Safe

I was told this was another form of bit evasion. I'd lift my hands, and the bit up, and use more leg to keep him moving ahead.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaGirl View Post
I was told this was another form of bit evasion. I'd lift my hands, and the bit up, and use more leg to keep him moving ahead.
I did some googling after posting - this is what I think too

Thanks
Old 08-03-2016, 01:20 AM   #4
Kid Safe

You're welcome, hope it's a fairly easy fix!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
Bombproof Member

Any video of the way he carries himself?
Might be helpful if we could see it.

Horses are so forgiving. ~ Tom Dorrance
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaGirl View Post
I agree with AG - probably bit evasion. More leg and then lift your hands up; but always leg first. That's what I was always taught to do when the horse went "behind the bit".

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
Weanling Member

was your new gelding by chance ever a western pleasure horse or a reiner? i've seen both disciplines trained for a very low head position.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
Yearling Member

So I got after him for dropping his head & he stopped pretty much immediately.

He is off the track (quarter horse) & was trained for barrels & poles, no pleasure or reining

I have taken him on a few trail rides & he went with a nice head position on a loose rein

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training