Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #21
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Sounds like you have a plan!
I agree on the 'stupid ice and snow. Right now we are having a little promise of spring, which means that it melts during the day, and then overnight sheets of ice form. I have been wearing my ice cleats for chores
Even yesterday, riding Charlie out to the road, she slipped on a patch of ice that I had not noticed. Luckily she kept her feet under her!
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #22
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilie View Post
Sounds like you have a plan!
I agree on the 'stupid ice and snow. Right now we are having a little promise of spring, which means that it melts during the day, and then overnight sheets of ice form. I have been wearing my ice cleats for chores
Even yesterday, riding Charlie out to the road, she slipped on a patch of ice that I had not noticed. Luckily she kept her feet under her!
YES! I HATE that! And of course the more it melts and refreezes the worse it gets because its like an ice rink from our house to anywhere else and then there's the mud.

But I am excited to of figured out the lesson plan from what you guys have been telling me. Gosh, I'm just so very grateful for you HTians, Gerald and a decent income and a pretty darn nice place to live that I have been able to be on this horse adventure
Old 03-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #23
Bombproof Member

Diamondgirl, many trainers advocate kissing to get the horse to lope. Now you know how she reacts, save it for when you do want a lope.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #24
Pasture Pet

Well my plans wet to poop, Snow on top of ice. So we messed around in the corral off lead. I thought because she had been doing everything I asked, albeit in a resistant kind of way, we were making progress, especially since I thought I was ending the lessons when she was clearly more obedient.

So let's see how you interpret this; I was picking up her feet and holding them for longer and per usual she'd lean on me, so I'd lift up and re-cue her to "hold it" and she'd lighten up. So again, I thought we were making headway. But when I went around to pick up her feet again, as I was coming around behind her she kicked me!

My immediate reaction was to beat her senseless I was so mad But instead I gave her the most commanding "HEE HAH!" and got dem feet moving! Unfortunately the corral is a keyhole shape with the shed on one end, so it was more of a figure 8 and kinda ragged at that. But by golly I ran myself ragged in the snow, snapping the end of the lead and not giving her a moments rest

And Peaches was pissed off too! She was snorting her rattle-y snort she does when she's trying to push her way around but I was having none of it. I was nearly snorting myself getting out of breath trying to keep her moving in that stupid corral as I raced back and forth snapping that lead. When her snorting died down and when she was stopped she looked at me with both ears I thought I could call it quits and give myself a break

In a way the kick is a sign of progress. It shows that I'm asking more than Peaches can do easily. That we've hit a "hole" in her training rather than simply a lack of training. So now the plan is to train for lightness and acceptance rather than simply "close enough". I have an idea that our lessons are going to last a lot longer
Old 03-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #25
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
The kick, unless she was startled, is a major show of disrespect.
A subordinate horse would never dream of kicking out at a dominant horse.
Was she loose?
I would have reacted by instantly smacking her as hard as I could on that offending leg
Has she never had her feet handled?
Before picking up a foot, make sure the horse is standing balanced. Ask for that foot by first running your hand down that leg, then gently pressing at the pastern, and say 'lift' If she is new to giving her feet, never having been trimmed, etc, then only hold it for a moment or so, making sure it is you that decides when to put that foot down. Unless a horse has a lameness problem, they are perfectly capable of standing on three feet. With a horse that leans, I give poke in the belly and say, 'stand up'
I expect even weanlings to pretty quickly let me have their foot for as long as it takes to trim it.
Sounds like you got your exercise at least!
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #26
Pasture Pet

I have been working on getting her to lift her foot and hold it for cleaning for YEARS! When I stopped trying to pick it up and had her pick it up so I could hold it we made fast progress to where she'll hold it up long enough for me to clean it somewhat. That is HUGE. We've had her for many years and have always had to sedate her for the farrier who is here two to three times a year. We don't have an indoor place to trim feet so from November to June there is no farrier service hence only 2 to 3 times a year. The previous owners didn't tend to her feet at all. The first several years with us she had seedy toe and a series of abscesses and treatments that we've been dealing with in one way or another.

Anyway, I KNOW kicking me is a sign of disrespect which is why I said her lessons are going to last a lot longer now. She has gone from fear based behavior to being belligerent over the past couple years. As we all know you have to deal with fear different than belligerence.

However, her resistance was less and her obedience was more so the kick took me completely by surprise. And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she held the punch, it was a total light weight kick for which I am TOTALLY grateful

I am going to come at this that I'm not going to be so easy on her in that I'm going to expect more rigor, more precision in her obedience. Ask for less but expect more. Again the ice is getting in my way so I'm not sure what I can do about this. Any suggestions?

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training