Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
Started

Thanks for the info Smilie! I understand now As to using whoa and not meaning it.. it's one of my pet peeves when a novice is riding one of my horses. If you say whoa make em stop! If you want them to slow down or need to say something else.. just say easy or walk..lol... Enjoying the thread and all the ideas!!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #22
Pasture Pet

Mean what you say and make it STICK. Hooo yea, I hate correcting **** but he is just terrible (an improvement over horrible lol) when he gives our dog Coda commands and he also does it when riding. My approach is to remind him that he's making a problem for me and that helps get the message through better. But trust me it happens to all of us if we aren't paying attention.

Peaches is a nervous/under confident (my interpretation) horse and we do a lot of standing still. If she's really worked up I will let her chew the lead rein then as she calms I expect less mouth and more mind. When we wait for the farrier I back her away from me or she'll nibble and mouth me. The goal is to wait until she calms herself down and I can see her relax. She's got this rattly snort she does when she is trying to be okay. When I first heard it I thought she had a breathing problem and asked the vet, he had no idea.

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training