Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Pasture Pet

TAA-DAH! I can reliably clean Peachie's feeties!

Since I can't clean her feet and take a picture at the same time you're gonna have to believe me on this one I can describe it if you're interested

It has taken me 8 years to get this done. Of course I don't live at home and only get there at most once a week. Not the best situation and not what was supposed to of happened but there ya go, its what it is.

I love thinking about all that I've learned about horses, Peaches and myself. I never had a relationship of such depth with a horse before. We've been through a lot together and I know Peachie trusts me and I'm coming around for her.

So now I can finally move on to the riding training part. The corral I used to use as a round pen got subdivided and now its like a squished keyhole shape which isn't very fun but its better than nothing. I'm pretty excited and kind of nervous so I'm going to focus on desensitizing her to all of the ways I can get on and off. With it being so cold I'll be quite bundled up which will cushion me but it'll also make me a bit clumsier, which is all the better for desensitization; win-win

Peaches was the reason I signed up for HT so THANK YOU to all of you who've given advice over the years. No matter what, you know that at least one person is paying attention
Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Pasture Pet

At least one person was listening when we were going on and on about how to pick feet and how to mount up and how to desensitize and how to ride.
hoorraayyy for you.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Pasture Pet

... and how to get your head out of the way
One of the things I found really interesting is how that expression, make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult needs to be interpreted differently given the horse's reason for "noncompliance"; Fear vs. Confusion vs. Obstinance
Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Bombproof Member

Good job!

Horses are so forgiving. ~ Tom Dorrance
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Greenbroke Member

YAY!!!!!! Good for you!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Yearling Member

Yay Version & Peaches!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 AM   #7
Pasture Pet

Thank you, thank you. Persistance and one horses forgiveness and generosity wins again. Gerald actually thinks Peaches has brain damage or very poor genetics at best because of how she responds to his, the previous owner and the two previous trainers bad experiences working with her previously to me. But not all horses respond the same way. You have to understand things from the horses point of view. Peaches needs things to go much slower and broken down into smaller steps so she can accept the new training otherwise she just can't accept it. Also she has to know you won't hurt her. She needs that trust and respect from true friendship rather than simply not hurting her.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:19 AM   #8
Bombproof Member

Congratulations!

Yay Joanie!!! (Sorry, but I'm just not going to Yay Peachie ... it was YOUR work that brought the result.)
Lady_MCSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
Coming two

Awesome!!!!
apollojunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
Yearling Member

Hip Hip, Hooray! Great feeling. I know!
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_MCSE View Post
Congratulations!

Yay Joanie!!! (Sorry, but I'm just not going to Yay Peachie ... it was YOUR work that brought the result.)
I see your point of view, I get it. But they are her feet and my head is still intact, so I gotta give her some credit

We did some more stuff this weekend so now I have another question. This is so great. I have come through a lot of "stuff" to organize my life to where I can get home every weekend and then take the time away from other "demands" to spend it with the Peach. Sometimes I feel like I'm on shaky ground and have no business doing any of this. I must give myself the credit I deserve even against the odds and naysayers. I am woman here me scree

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Training