Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Weanling Member

magic seat

Anyone got any thoughts on these things? Lots of kids up here are riding with them, but then I hear lots of horror stories and dont know if they are just stories. Basically you velco you kid to the saddle? Most of the kids I see using them are speed horses. Do you think they make things safer or more dangerous?
cocaloda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
Started

velcro ...okay saw it on internet tack shop...hate it!! there are times you want to be able to fall off a horse. and a kid, if they don't have a good enough seat to stay on the horse, they should not be riding in the event.

Last edited by JoAnne; 02-29-2008 at 01:55 AM.
JoAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
A family brought their little girl to try out a 1D barrel horse that friends of ours had for sale. They said on the phone that the child was a fantastic rider, she was ready to go up to a 1D horse.

They came out, velcroed the child to the horse, and turned her loose. The horse did it's job, at a high rate of speed, the little girl started screaming, the more she screamed the faster the horse went. The little girl either didn't know how to stop a horse or was too scared to think.

The owner stepped out and yelled "WHOA!" and the horse stopped. Confused the poor mare to no end.

So now, whenever I see velcro, I automatically assume, right or wrong, that the child can't ride.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Jess6092
Just say NO to VELCRO!

Totally agree. If you cant ride without the vices then you just shouldn't be riding period. There is alot to be said for learning english as a child. I think it gives you a much better seat and riding muscles. It makes western seem easy. Thats how I learned, english in lessons, no stirrups then jumping, etc. Then when I switched to western a few years later I felt like I was riding with a seat belt on! I felt so secure. JMO.

My kids (when I have them) will do the same I think. NO Velcro for sure!
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
Coming two

Holy cow I couldnt imagine. Ive got 3 little ones and why in the h*ll would you want to stick them to the seat?! Thats a "Heres your sign" moment.

Goodness. The stupidity of some people amazes me.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
Pasture Pet

Wow, sounds like a good way to get your child seriously hurt to me! What if the horse flipped over backwards, or took off under some trees and the child couldnt' come off? Sounds like a really bad idea!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Seasoned

The only time I saw it used that it didn't make me want to cringe was a teenage handicapped boy. He was wheel chair bound but with the help of the velcro straps to keep his legs quiet he was able to barrel race and do very well!.. The velcro just kept his otherwise useless legs in place if he had fallen his weight was greater than the grip of the velcro and it would release. So in that case it was amazing to assist him in achieving his goals....otherwise what are they thinking????
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Weanling Member

That was the way I felt, but I wanted to know if everyone else felt that way. By the way, we dont use one, my daughter takes saddleseat riding lessons. I feel like, if she can ride saddleseat everything else will be cake.
cocaloda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
Bombproof Member

I'm saddened to see what parents expose their kids to when living vicariously thro them.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
Long Yearling

Not a good idea. I have my own ideas on kids riding by themselves at certain ages though. I have seen some horrible things done to too small and inexperienced children just so the parents can brag or look good in front of people. I have seen some little ones barrel racing at such young ages on such fast horses that it makes me sick.

"To many, the words love, hope, and dreams are synonymous with horses" - Anonymous
ilovepaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Newborn Member

i have to agree. but my son has never rode. I put him in a magic seat and he did just fine when he rode in barrel racing. but remember he had never rode a horse in his life. You are right that it is dangerius but it works.He is 9 years old and i love him but he got the seat with his money. So he wanted to use it so i let him.
kyle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
Long Yearling

There is NO way I would ever use it with Claire. I think they are way too dangerous!!! And I agree if Addy can side Sidesaddle she can ride anything. Well, that and her fearless personality.

I am sick to my stomach everytime we go to Claire's barrel races. The kids in her age group are running 15's. Claire was scared to death when she ran a 26. I have seen the same parents who strap their kids in close the arena gate b/c the kid can't stop the horse, back the horse into the arena b/c it is a monster going in forward. Nadia can vouch for all of these things. It's so sad. I say a prayer every barrel race that no one gets hurt. I have also seen a 1 yr old child strapped on during a leadline class.
samtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
Started

I have only used them with a girl onces. She was mentally handicap so she couldn't hold herself up. We used one and it worked great, however we did have a person on each side of her and another leading the horse at a walk.

That would be the only reason why I would EVER use one.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenosGirl View Post
I have only used them with a girl onces. She was mentally handicap so she couldn't hold herself up. We used one and it worked great, however we did have a person on each side of her and another leading the horse at a walk.

I agree that would be the exception.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Long Yearling

I know two little girls that use them. The first was a 6-7 yr old girl that could ride, control her horse, and was confident, but very small. She was running her horse at open barrel races in the open and placing in the 2D. Problem was is she is very small for her age--like the size of a 4 year old. The magic seat helped her keep her balance and let her concentrate on her hands and putting her horse where it was supposed to be. She was also having trouble keeping her feet forward because of how high her stirrups had to be for her to reach them (in a 12" saddle!) She was perfectly capable and I never worried about her...she can ride and Cozi took care of her.

The other is my best friend's 20 month old. She won't stay in the middle of a saddle yet (just doesn't know how), but she also wants to think she is riding by herself, and so we use the magic seat to keep her from falling off. BUT, there are only two horses that we would strap her on to. Period. That is her grandfather's old heading horse Ace, and my husband's old heading horse, also named Ace. They are the two safest horses in the whole world and understand what they are carrying. And then she is still only led or ponied off another horse, at a walk. Period. But it makes her feel like a big girl that she is riding by herself.
We had her on my Ace at a barrel race last week and my goofy little filly jumped into Ace when another horse loped up too close behind her and he never even flinched! He knows what's on him and how precious it is! I have no fear "velcroing" that little girl to him.

"No horse ever goes as fast as the money you spend on him."
Rockin GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #16
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenosGirl View Post

That is a good reason to use one.

I can't go around telling other parents what to do. But my child will not be doing anything he/she can't handle on her OWN. If my child can't ride a 1D barrel horse, well he/she won't ride him. I am not going to teach my child to be a lazy rider because velcro saves the day.

A lot of people at my saddle club ride with them. One year I saw a girl riding with one, the next year she wasn't and she was a HORRIBLE rider, because she never learned how to truely sit, it's dangerous stuff!

Honeslty, it's the same thing with jumping. I see little kids jumping all the time that have no idea how to sit in the saddle, they just learned form over the fences and that's it. Well, it all comes down to basics. If you can't do it right, why do it at all? It is just DANGEROUS!!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
Long Yearling

Check out these photos of the young girl I mentioned. She will be 8 this summer. Last year and the year before she raced in a magic seat--though rode without one at home. She rode an older w/t horse with it before that. Using one doesn't automatically mean you do not know how to ride!

http://bbphotography.zenfolio.com/p2...7c74#h39162bd3
http://bbphotography.zenfolio.com/p2...7c74#h2715b461
http://bbphotography.zenfolio.com/p2...7c74#h28d671c6

BTW, this is her mother's 1D mare! I believe the little girl won the 4D and the mother won the 1D...on the same horse! She's one heck of a little cowgirl!

Sorry I can't directly post the pics...they were taken by a friend but they are copyrighted.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
Long Yearling

Found some more of Rylan and Fly...same barrel race.

http://bbphotography.zenfolio.com/p2...7c74#h1bbcb39e
http://bbphotography.zenfolio.com/p2...c7c74#h6d8c97b
http://bbphotography.zenfolio.com/p2...c7c74#h4e77366

Old 04-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Kid Safe

i still don't think its a good idea. and wouldn't some kids be embarresed to use one?
Old 04-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #20
Long Yearling

I don't think Claire would care one or the other, but I still would never allow her to use one. The top riders using one don't seem to be embarr. , they just like their times.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment