Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Started

ack !!! new tack

Ok..
I have been using my new bridle/ headstall for about a week...and it is leaving black dye goo on the horse. I just washed it with saddle soap ( the bridle not the horse) and a ton (like 4 changes of water later) I am still having black come off.

Never having new tack before...always riding someone else's horse with old tack, usually top end, but old tack. I don't know if I should complain to the company or just keep cleaning it and it will go away as it breaks in, and accept it as just a function of the cheaper leather.

This is the economy line from a "good" company.. Besides this, I love the bridle, looks sharp on the horse, and after a week the reins are starting to feel like reins..finally

making me wonder if I will have the same problem with the saddle that I want to buy.

oh bother
k
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Bombproof Member

If the leather was dyed with something called lamp black, it is a sooty material. Wiping with a rag and turpentine might cut thro it. Best to do a test patch first.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Seasoned

I have a new bridle too (real leather), but no problems with it such as you described. I would at least email the company and explain your problem, they might know a solution.

With a new saddle (a western style) breaking in the stirrup fenders is sort of irritating. I like buying used saddles that have been reconditioned or a really good used saddle from a private owner.

Good luck
Mav2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Kid Safe

I bought a new leather headstall that was a darker oil and it left a stain on my grey horse for maybe 7-10 rides, but after that it stopped. So I don't know it seems like your tack is taking a long time to stop...
Old 07-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
Started

I think I figured out at least part of my problem...

I left it in the van for a full day..I think the sun baked some of the dye out. It is much better since I gave it a good wash. I will not be doing that again, but it may have hastened the breaking in process somewhat.

I would love to buy used tack, however used aussie style tack is unheard of here, and a used western saddle will cost me the 400 that I could spend and get the style that I want, no horn and western-y stirrups...that I think will help my ankle problems...and while I know it would not be a top of the line saddle...as I am not a top of the line rider, on my rescue horse..I think it will be an exceptable starting point.

The borrowed saddle we are using is to small for my ample butt and I keep popping out, and has a liberal amount of duct tape holding it together...but beggars can not be too picky...

thanks for the help
k
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment