Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Greenbroke Member

Light Weight/Aluminum Horse Trailer Question

OK, I've been told by "people" that if you get a light weight trailer and the horses start scrambling or leaning into corners when hauling that the trailer is thrown all over the road... Is this true or not???

Since I haul with an Explorer and am looking at newer lighter trailers this has me worried. I'd like to go from an older 2 horse straight load to a new 2 horse slant. The new trailer is a foot wider (6'), the same height (6'6"), and about 3 1/2 feet longer (13'), but it weghts about the same as the trailer I have now...

Edited for spelling.
Miichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Seasoned

I've never used the bumper-pull light-weight trailers, my cousin has always used goosenecks. Sorry, but I'm of no help!

For what it's worth, the gooseneck's don't wobble too bad if the horses get to panicking or anything. But I really don't know if that's the case with bumper pulls. Sway bars help, that's about all I know about 'em.
miss leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Weanling Member

Best advice I can offer: Get a different tow vehicle. I've towed with a vehicle in the "Explorer"-class, and it's so not fun. Even with a light trailer, you're going to be quite unbalanced.

Even a light pickup (F-150 or comparable) will give you a better tow. Longer wheelbase, sturdier chassis, tow package, makes all the difference in the world.

Yes, goosenecks are great, and that's what I drive now, but not everybody has the luxury of being able to sink that kind of investment into a truck and trailer.

In regards to the horses scrambling, same thing, if you have a heavier duty tow vehicle, less chance of the trailer yanking it all over the road and creating further unbalance.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
Coming two

I have an aluminum skin, steel framed trailer and I can tell you that the prior owners horses kicked the ramp while trailering and the whole ramp is all dimpled out from it.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment