Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Weanling Member

What size cart?

Hi. I am looking into getting a used cart for my haflinger. It probably won't happen this winter but it is fun to look. I keep coming across sizes and do not know what size he would be. Clancy is 14 or 14'1h and measured 69' for his blanket. He is a slightly chunky guy and has been trained to drive by the Amish.

What is cob size, pony size and horse size? Any guesses to what size he would require. I am more curious than serious about getting a cart but if I decided to buy one, I would definitely take someone with me who knows about carts. I just don't know what size I should begin looking at. Thanks.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
He should take a cob size. The shafts need to be level or slightly uphill (front to back) for the cart to balance properly and to be comfortable for you. I believe that pony is under 13 hands, cob is 13-14 hands and a horse size would be over 15 hands. You would also need to make sure the shafts are wide enough for him. The shafts need to be a minimum of 3" wider than the horse on either side. So however wide Clancy is at his widest point plus a minimum of 6".

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
Weanling Member

Thanks Beth. That gives me a little background info before I start looking. I'm not sure if we can afford to spend the money right now but hopefully by Spring, I will be able to get a cart. I just wasn't sure what "cob" meant.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment