Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:11 AM   #1
Long Yearling

Going to my first show! Need help!!

Hi I haven't been around in a while due to my computer doing and being really busy. I am going to my first show with my horse Dustin in June. I've never been to a show and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which class to choose.

he is schooling 3' at home so I want do a 2'6 jumper with him.

there is a 2'6 power and speed

2'6 speed

2'6 timed first jump off

I'm not really sure what those mean and looking it up is just confusing me... I've never even gone to watch a show, but I think we are ready to at least try, I'm just having difficulties figuring out the registration. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!! Forms can be seen at cmhss.net

little back info on Dustin! We still have battles but mostly just battles of will lol. He has done English and western riding, jumping, kids, mounted archery, neck reins at all gaits (including his tremendously slow gallop lol), I even taught him to lay down just by telling him! And we are working on bridless, and he moves off leg! I really want to add a show in there and I think we are ready if I can figure out how to register him!!
moluvzhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Greenbroke Member

Is there a reason why you want to do the jumpers rather than the hunters? Jumpers are more "turny" courses and are typically timed; hunters are more straight lines and are judged based on steady pace, looks, etc. If I were you (not knowing anything about what you have been training to do at home), I would go do the Adult Mini Medal, Open hunter over fences (2'3" and/or 2'6") and Open hunter under saddle. If you feel like it, you could also do the Open Equitation (judged on you not the horse).
Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #3
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister's Mom View Post
Is there a reason why you want to do the jumpers rather than the hunters? Jumpers are more "turny" courses and are typically timed; hunters are more straight lines and are judged based on steady pace, looks, etc. If I were you (not knowing anything about what you have been training to do at home), I would go do the Adult Mini Medal, Open hunter over fences (2'3" and/or 2'6") and Open hunter under saddle. If you feel like it, you could also do the Open Equitation (judged on you not the horse).
Sorry for the slow reply. My phone won't let me make posts or reply so I had to catch some time with my tablet. The reason I want to do jumpers is because I get nervous when people watch and if I went into a store based on how I look I would fail so bad. Jumpers allows me to kind of be along for the ride while my horse gets to do something he loves and we don't have to worry about being "perfect" . we just have to get over the jump and not knock any. He's really good with turns and taking jumps at weird angles so even if we come into the jump badly he will jump and clear it. If he were seasoned maybe if try hunters or eq. But it's the first four both of us lol two greenies trying to be pretty would be a hot mess.

I jumped him last week with no hands! I just let go and went around and realized I could ask him to go over the jumps with just my leg it's not pretty lol but he did it! It was only a 2ft jump but it was liberating. And today I took the reins off completely! He hadn't been ridden since last week so he was nothing less than distracted but when I did get him to focus he did it for me again. Because I don't get to work him regularly I don't think he could look very pretty moving along so I think the faster paced jumpers would be better for him. Not to mention I don't bhave money to buy all new show clothes
moluvzhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
Greenbroke Member

So I think the best thing for you to do would be to contact the show's coordinator or someone and ask what the difference is in those jumper classes. And ask if you can cross enter into them (you should be able to since they are all the same height). Different shows can define their classes differently so that what I might do here in a power and speed might be different for you.

Best of luck and make sure to bring someone along with a camera!
Old 06-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Greenbroke Member

Have you shown already? If not, here's the breakdown of the class types.

In Power and Speed, it's like one course broken into 2 parts. First part, you must go clear (the power). If you go clear, then you move on to the second part which is a jump off- clear round in the shortest time (speed). The parts progress from one to the other without delay (as long as you've gone clear- I believe they give you a bell, but I would clarify with the show organizers).

Speed is one course, fastest without faults wins.

Timed First Jump Off is similar to Power and Speed in that the course is two parts that you proceed from one immediately to the other if you "pass" the first part. The difference here, is not only do you need to go clear, you have to do it in the time allowed. If so, you'll get a bell and move on to the jump off.

Your goal should be to do the course well and go clear, if you happen to be fast at it as well- then yay! Work on speed later.

If you can, I would always recommend going to watch another show, just to get a feel for how it is run. See where/how warm up happens. See how they call riders in. See where you wait when you're up next. See how they direct the horses/riders.

Different show venues will vary based on how "official" the show is, so if you're at going to a schooling level it is nice to see how particular they are about following state/national show rules.
*Giddy Up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
Greenbroke Member

Have you shown yet?

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows