Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
Halter broke

Boots/Bandages/Wraps Prohibited?

I was going through the rulebook for the saddle club that hosts most of the shows in this area and found this- "Boots, wraps, and bandages are prohibited. In the event of inclement weather, bell boots may be permitted by the judge"
This is for the English division, both O/F and on the flat. I was hoping to show my gelding in a few greenie classes because he's been doing so well and I'd like to see how he does at a show. The problem? He overreaches, even at the trot, and so I always have bell boots on him when we ride (they were recommended by the farrier, so I can have him verify that with a written statement if need be). Do you think I could ask to put bell boots on my guy? Is this normal?

Last edited by Horsebackchic; 04-11-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Horsebackchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Weanling Member

Usually bell boots are frowned upon in the hunter division, since it signifies that the horse has a conformation issue. However, I have never seen a horse be disqualified for bell boots, but you most likely will be knocked down. However, you could use something like this http://www.doversaddlery.com/a-caval...ot/p/X1-04196/ so they wouldn't be as noticeable.
However If you horse is constantly overreaching, I would look at changing how you are shoeing. But that is a completely different discussion.
aceofspades1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
Kid Safe

It is a standard practice that English shows with classes in equitation or hunters have rules that clearly state no wraps, boots, bandages, etc.. in the show ring.
They are permitted in schooling rings
only {or use to be}.
That includes bell boots too. If you enter the ring with them on the horse you can be disqualified, excused and or just not judged at the discretion of the judge.
It is up to the discretion of the show ring committee, judge and steward if or when to make a exception and allow all competitors to use certain equipment.
I have never heard of a letter from your farrier being presented and a exception to the rule take place.
I've never seen a horse be competed with any type of boot on unless the entire class is permitted for safety reasons to the horse...

Now riding jumpers is a whole other set of rules and more "protective equipment" for the horse is allowed...
Maybe look into pre-green/baby classes in jumpers...not so strict with turnout of horse or rider for that matter I've seen.

horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselover4life View Post
It is a standard practice that English shows with classes in equitation or hunters have rules that clearly state no wraps, boots, bandages, etc.. in the show ring.
They are permitted in schooling rings
only {or use to be}.
That includes bell boots too. If you enter the ring with them on the horse you can be disqualified, excused and or just not judged at the discretion of the judge.
It is up to the discretion of the show ring committee, judge and steward if or when to make a exception and allow all competitors to use certain equipment.
I have never heard of a letter from your farrier being presented and a exception to the rule take place.
I've never seen a horse be competed with any type of boot on unless the entire class is permitted for safety reasons to the horse...

Now riding jumpers is a whole other set of rules and more "protective equipment" for the horse is allowed...
Maybe look into pre-green/baby classes in jumpers...not so strict with turnout of horse or rider for that matter I've seen.

Agree.
I have never seen any show where protective leg equipment is allowed for rail/equitation classes
Once you move on to games classes, reining, etc, that is entirely different.
I would maybe have someone else shoe your horse, adjusting breakover, to prevent that interference
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
Long Yearling

Even at the local level here, nothing is allowed on the horse's legs.
Even in the higher up levels when you have these big stride warmbloods they don'ts get bell boots.
Jumpers are a different story, although I'm pretty sure polo's still aren't allowed with good reason.
In_Between2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #6
Pasture Pet

Polos are allowed in jumpers. Most people just don't use them.

If it is a schooling show, you could ask management about allowing the bell boots. Some schooling shows are pretty relaxed about things like that, that don't actually alter your performance.

For rated shows though, you will be disqualified.

Best bet is to show unjudged and use the bell boots, just to see how your horse goes.
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #7
Halter broke

Alright, I was just wondering. He overreaches because of a natural conformational fault (camped under in the front and short-backed), so there's nothing we can really do to fix it, and he just bumps his own heels, bruises them at the canter if I don't put bell boots on. He's never cut himself because of it. Thanks!

Last edited by Horsebackchic; 04-11-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Horsebackchic is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows