Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #21
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldbear View Post
Smilie, a few quality Apps have been winning against QH's for years in the cattle events.

High Sign won the roping at the Quarter Horse Congress around 25 years ago, and won a lot of opening ropings along the way, as have his off spring. Meter Maid was a champion PRCA roping horse about that same time. And you didn't need to look at their papers to know they were Appaloosas. And yes, they both had a lot of QH in their pedigree.

They did all start out from the same "bunch" way back when. And some of the early breeders weren't too scrupulous about registration.

There is one modern App line that has a generation of "minatures" about seven generations back. They had to be miniatures, because pony lines aren't allowed in the Appaloosa breed!

Nor are drafts allowed in AQHA, though Joe Hancock was reportedly sired by a Percheron. And he also had Jockey Club papers as "Brown Wool." Whose eyes was the wool being pulled over?

But then Last Chance, a Tennessee Walker, was issued a registration number by the Morgan registry, so I guess it was common practice to put a good horse in the registries regardless of what his parents were.

I wonder if we could follow the example of the European warmblood registries, and admit horses by inspection. The Racking Horse folks, and some of the SPotted Saddle Horses are registered that way. Some of the Mountain Horse registries require a process of inspection/certification for breeding and/or showing. And don't Appendix Quarter Horses have to "prove" themselves to be given regular papers?

Or what if we did registration by DNA? If the overo gene or the tobiano gene or the leopard gene showed up, what registry should the horse be placed in?
Excluded from?

The possibilites and peramutaions are endless!
I know that some ApHC horses have been doing very well in open working cowhorse, afterall, I bred to High Sign Nugget several times.
Just got a notice in the mail today that Neon Cola Sign bred by us, has won a bronze medallion
She is by High Sign NUgget and out of a solid black ApHC mare we had-Candy Cola
She won a national title in working cowhorse, and a world in reining
Another mare I raised, by High Sign Nugget and out of my old reining mare, San Stone Image, woen many open working cowhorse events, and an ApHC world championship in sr working cowhorse
My statement was a generality,a s up here, Appaloosas were not rally taken seriously on the open cowhorse and reining circuit, until High Sign Nugget, who is by High Sign, was brought up here as a two year old
He got into good hands, being training by Les Timmons, a well known open working cowhorse trainer.
High Sign Nugget proved that Appaloosas could win big, winning both the snaffle and bridle bit futurity at the Canadian Supreme
Other open working cowhorse breeders and trainers, started to show offspring, proving the Appaloosa in tuff open competition
When Les was first kidded by fellow trainers, most riding AQHA horses, as to how he liked riding all those spots, Les simply replied, Ì just like riding a good cowhorse!
As Appaloosa breeders, we can`t breed out to a dual registered AQHA
Here is a link to Thunderstruck Ranch, home of High Sign Nugget

Last edited by Smilie; 03-13-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #22
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
lets, face it, when first the ApHC, AQHA and APHA registries were started, aat about the same time, they were formed by horses that had just been ranch horses, with many breeds contributing to the gene pool
Many of those ranchers had maybe a solid stud, one with App type genetics and some with Paint, and these horses were inter bred
AQHA decided to go with a white rule restriction, using those short distance running horses, who themselves had alot of TB blood, and some plain unknown range mares, or army remount stallions
APHA became a color breed showing what is now known as paint genetics, and many AQHA horses that exceeded the white rule, became Paint `crop outs and dumped into the Paint registry
ApHC was formed on what was considered Appaloosa coat patterns and characteristics
problem was, horses were put into registries upon visual inspection, thus some of those early AQHA horses were minimal marked or roan, or solid Appaloosas
This resulted from foundation Appaloosa stallions, like Bright Eyes Brother and Whapi having two AQHA parents
Besides that Bright Eyes Brother and Maddonès Bright Eyes, a champion AQHA running mare, shared the dam Plaudette, who is obviously a Paint

Genetics donèt lie, and sooner or later will crop up, even if they have been recessive for years, an dwhy there now is an AQHA stallion that has a huge blanket and spots
There are certain genetic coat colors and markings, as we all know, and more is being learned about them all the time-but lets face it, breeds are man made
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Riding and Training > Shows