Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Weanling Member

Favorite clippers and also ceramic blades

Hi all. Well it's that time of year again...3" of winter hair on the ponies is starting to fly. Lordy ! it looks like a Q~tip exploded when one of them rolls.

My beloved Wahl stable pro 3 in 1's are 15 years old and sadly at the end of their life if the noises they are making are any indication

I am so out of touch with what new & whats hot (or not) in the clipper world.
Looking for suggestions as to what your favorite clippers are.

I am thinking about the Double K clippers. I have seen the results of a fresh body clip on a mini & there were literally NO stripes/track marks.
I have heard they (whoever "they""are) have come out with ceramic blades for clippers now?!! anyone have any experience with them good or bad.

Thanks ,looking forward to your advise
northernlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Yearling Member

Hubby bought me the Double K clippers and I LOVED THEM!! Then they broke. It's not even really a break that is obvious. Everything runs great, but it won't cut any hair. (It's not the blades trust me!!) The college I went to bought two of them as well, and they BOTH did the same thing!! It's very strange. The manufacturers don't know what causes it either.

But before they broke they were the best clippers I've ever used. Super quiet, easy swivel handle, and very light so your arms don't get as tired. Horses liked them too. I really like the feature that you can turn the knob to adjust the speed so it isn't just a 1 or 2 setting.

So in short, they are the best clippers on the planet - until they break
Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Yearling Member

Oh. I now use the Andis 2 speed hand held clippers with a TI-84 wide blade or a #10 blade. After using the Double K I couldn't bear to go back to a bulky awful loud body clipper! I have friends use the Andis brand for years and they are still working.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Seasoned

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
I have the Andis 2 speed also.Been a great clipper...Have had it for at least 15yrs without any issues......very quiet clipper....
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
GV4
Yearling Member

I have Lister Star clippers and use their Cover Cote blades. The clippers have worked well for me and the blades leave enough hair on so that you don't have sunburned horses later. I use them on our Vanners and need to let them cool often. Not sure if that is due to the hair on the horse or the lack of rpm of the clippers. Lister also makes a Legend clipper that I have heard good things about.
GV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustEquit8 View Post
Oh. I now use the Andis 2 speed hand held clippers with a TI-84 wide blade or a #10 blade. After using the Double K I couldn't bear to go back to a bulky awful loud body clipper! I have friends use the Andis brand for years and they are still working.

I also have the Andis 2 clippers. Love them! Had a professional groomer come out to shave my mule, and the groomer used them and loved them as well. They are a mid-range clipper, so they are pretty light but the motor is powerful enough to get right through the shaggiest of hair. And believe me, my mule had enough hair to survive a winter in the Arctic!
FeelingFroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Bombproof Member

Look into sheep shears, a friend has one and it works great on her triple coated minis

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Yearling Member

I sold my double k clippers a few months back. I used them on my mini once.
I wasn't too thrilled with them- They heated up quickly and I could only use them on a low setting...

I have the Andis clippers with a body blade on them and I like them.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
Pasture Pet

I love the Andis clippers, and I just tried ceramic blades for the first time a few weeks ago and love them! I body clip 1-2 ponies a week generally.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #10
Kid Safe

We use the Oster Clipmaster on the goats,dogs and calves. I can go through 4 600# calves with no problem in a short time. Problem with them though they are heavy and can be hard to handle about the time the first animal is done. Iam on the lookout for a smaller clipper with mulitple blades so I clip everybody and not feel like my arm is falling off.
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Started

Wahl stable pros suck!
I have a pair and they have been noisy since i got them.
They are now broke..i cant adjust the blade because the cheap plastic that goes where the adjuster thingy(LOL) is broke..so if i move that the blade comes half off
Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Weanling Member

I have the Andis Ultra Edge 2 speed. (The blue ones.) I groom dogs three days a week, and I chose those clippers because a groomer I used to work with had them for about 8 years and used them 6 days a week and never had an issue with hers. I have been using mine for about a year now, and off and on before that. They work great and have gone through the shaggiest hair I can imagine when I shaved a couple of collies. The clippers the rest of us at my first groom job used were the maroon Andis 2 speeds. I really liked those clippers too, but there was a problem with the cord on all of them after about 3 years, and they all had to be sent in for repair. If you get the Andis though, it is VERY important to keep all moisture out of the clippers. Don't clip wet, and be very careful when you wash blades. If they get moisture in them, something tends to short out. (I don't know what it is, but it causes them to intermittently stop running or run slow.) I have only heard great things about Laubes. It seems like everyone that has one swears by them. I actually just bought a pair and am waiting for them to be mailed to me, so I can let you know how I like them when I get them.

As far as stripes go, while a bad set of clippers or dull blades can cause it, it is a lot the way you clip. It just takes practice. I have heard a lot of not so great things about the ceramic blades, but I have a couple of them, and a couple of the regular UltraEdge blades and to be honest I have not noticed much difference. The UltraEdge are cheaper though if I remember correctly. All of my blades have dulled at about the same speed, so I can't say I have noticed a difference there either. While I have never used them, I have heard good things about the Geib Buttercut blades. I know I like their shears.
Majolica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
Weanling Member

Thank you all so much !
It's great to be able to get product reviews before going to buy something from folks who use them.
I am going to go look at the Andis clippers more seriuosly. One question I do have is are you able to use other makes blades with them? I 'stole' some nice new blades on Ebay 10-15 & 40 made by Metalab...$50 for all 3! I had read that some models you can use any make of blades & some require manufacturer specific ones...
help

once again, thank you
northernlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Yearling Member

When I bought the Andis clippers they came with a T-84 blade and a #10 blade! The blade you want is the kind that slide on and & snap into the lock position. Something like this:

Good luck and happy clipping!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlea View Post
Thank you all so much !
It's great to be able to get product reviews before going to buy something from folks who use them.
I am going to go look at the Andis clippers more seriuosly. One question I do have is are you able to use other makes blades with them? I 'stole' some nice new blades on Ebay 10-15 & 40 made by Metalab...$50 for all 3! I had read that some models you can use any make of blades & some require manufacturer specific ones...
help

once again, thank you
Any A5 type blades will work with those Andis clippers. I don't know anything about the Metalab blades, so I don't know if they are the A5 type, but if they are they should work.
Majolica is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews