Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Horse Stories
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
Seasoned

White Line Disease...

So there Tango was, cantering around in the mud from the rain. I watched him move, glorious and glistening. He was just stunning in the turnout, prancing and being a happy horse.

And then I saw it. A white line on his hoof. I called to him, went in to the turn out, knelt down, and looked hard. Yes, a white line. On his hoof. I felt around for heat, for swelling, for anything out of place. Not a thing but this white line.

I left the turn out, and got one of the old cowboys there. He's a farrier as well. I asked him to come look at Tango; I said I think he's got white line disease. He walked over to the turnout, and Tango came right over.

"See? On his far hind? That white line? Is it white line disease?" I frantically asked.

He looked, looked again, and looked a third time. Then he caught the BM, who was walking by. Asked her to look. She did. Looked twice. And then called over another old cowboy.

All three of them were standing there, looking at Tango's foot. Tango was standing there, looking back. I had my hand on his nose, and he just was a patient horse, letting these people stare at his feet.

The three of them looked at me, and the old farrier cowboy said "that sure looks like a white line to me." I nodded. Swallowing past the lump in my throat, I asked him what course of treatment would be best, or was it so far gone that there might be a problem treating it effectively.

He looked at me, and said "when did you first notice it?" I responded with "just now." He asked me if there were any hoof problems in the past, and I said we've had a battle with thrush, but not too much more than that; I used biotin and thought his hooves were fine until I saw the white line.

The old farrier cowboy said, "that white line is the coronet band. Stop reading books."

It's hard being new, you know?

At least I can laugh at myself...

Best-
Noni
Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
Started

Send a message via MSN to sugarsgal
Oh Noni..That's funny...Well we don't know if we don't ask, Right? It's actually funny that it took 3 people to figure it out though

There is no such thing as an Ignorant horse, there are only Ignorant people!
sugarsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
Greenbroke Member

Well, at least you weren't told basically the same thing by your DAUGHTER!!!

Yep, when I was a newbie I thought/saw the same thing. Amanda just rolled her eyes and said, "No, mom, that's the coronet band." It's tough when your kids are smarter than you!
TxHorseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
Pasture Pet

I think you should get credit for paying that much attention. And if it makes you feel any better, I was getting really freaked out yesterday because there was blood all over the walls of Opie's stall and I couldn't find anything at all wrong with him. I finally figured it out when I was cleaning his stall. He had apparently had it with the rats stealing his food, and scraped one all over his stall... EEWWWWW!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carri View Post
I think you should get credit for paying that much attention. And if it makes you feel any better, I was getting really freaked out yesterday because there was blood all over the walls of Opie's stall and I couldn't find anything at all wrong with him. I finally figured it out when I was cleaning his stall. He had apparently had it with the rats stealing his food, and scraped one all over his stall... EEWWWWW!

OHHH YUCK!

Noni- It is with the best intentions that you look out for your horse! Im the same way. I swear my vet gets tired of me calling. Simple things can lead to big things! I would rather treat the simple things and avoid the HUGE cost of letting something get out of hand! So heres to the anal retentive horse owners of the world! Of course being the new kid on the block does leave you open to people teasing you. I almost had a stroke when my BIL (who is my farrier) told me Raven had Limpings Hoof. She had been cocking her left hind and I thought there was something wrong. So when he came out I had him look over it. He told me with the most serious face that she had Limpings, WTF? I had never heard of it. So me being the big sucker I am freaking. Well what do I need to do..Blah Blah. He said nothing just let her rest how she wants too. Freakin .
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Seasoned

"Stop reading books", I love it!
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #7
Kid Safe

OMG, Noni, my heart was pounding reading that! I was so scared for you, sure that Tangoman had something awful wrong with him, frantically trying to remember if our horses had any white lines on their hooves, and I don't even know what White Line Disease is!

Don't stop reading books, start writing them! With all your experiences, and your talent for writing, you could save a lot of newbies a lot of heartache!

And, what exactly is White Line Disease?!?
merleliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsgal View Post
Oh Noni..That's funny...Well we don't know if we don't ask, Right? It's actually funny that it took 3 people to figure it out though
No, he was showing the new kid off to the experienced ones...they all knew it was the coronet band. They were just having me on. ROFL. It was funny, after I realized what they were doing. I laughed as loudly as they did. I will also say that they all said to never stop asking questions, and looking at my horse's health and wellbeing. They really were just having me on.

Merleliz, white line disease is a bacterial infection which separates the hoof wall from the (something else) and is hard to fight in some cases. I don't know enough about it, but I have now learned that it doesn't show up on the outside top of the hoof...at least, not at first. LOL.

Glad you all laughed with me...I don't mind feeling stupid (I do that a lot), but I always appreciate an opportunity to learn. Even if it's at my expense.

Best-
Noni
Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Greenbroke Member

I was thinking it really must be bad to show up on the outside of the hoof. Glad it was just the coronet band and not something serious.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Greenbroke Member

Noni I sure wish you lived down here near me, I really could use your humor around here.

http://www.freewebs.com/rpmaxx/
mymaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
Coming two

Once again, you have me spitting all over my monitor! Good thing you have a sense of humor, huh?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
A J
Greenbroke Member

At least you could laugh about it with them!

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #13
Started

Geesh Noni, Now I feel stupidHere I'am thinking how stupid is that Farrier/cowboy/BM, they should have all known better I guess the joke was on me there Noni

Quote:
Originally Posted by merleliz View Post
And, what exactly is White Line Disease?!?
WLD is a Bacterial infection of the sensitive Laminis (the small line between the hoof wall and inner hoof when you look at the bottom your horses hoof) Cause is usually from a crack in the hoof wall, hoof nails, Imbedded stone etc. left untreated. The bacteria from say manure/Dirty Stalls/environent enters the crack, left uncleaned and you have WLD. Well not quite that quick, It's a progressing infection.

There are several treatments but treatment depends on the severity of the infection. Minor infection can be treated with Thrush medications and more severe cases require a hoof resection (parts of the hoof is removed to allow better treating access, damaged hoof removal and promote healing) WLD can also lead to perminant lameness and loss of the hoof wall.

Sorry Noni, didn't mean to steal your thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #14
Seasoned

You're not stealing my thread...you're explaining something, and that is always welcome. I need to learn everything; and as you might have realized, I've got a long, long way to go.

And don't feel silly; they were having me on 100%. It took the book comment for me to understand what was going on, too. Afterwards, the old cowboy told me about a girl he knew whose horse had 'flounder.' She was new, too...

Best-
Noni
Old 01-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
Started

That's funny, My neighbour always trys to be a Horsey Guy. He use to have a pony when he was young and she it "Floundered" I correct him on the term all the time but he corrects me and say's "It's not Founder, It FLOUNDER" I told him, "His pony must have looked real Silly with Fish on his feet"

Noni, You have came such a long way, Never unerestimate how much you really do know!!! It's when you stop learning or wanting to learn and think you know it all, that's when you want to worry!!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to DanielleS
Thats funny Noni! I was thinking, Oh dear god, it must have gotten terribly bad for you to see if on the outside of the hoof! Your farrier would find it very fast when he trims, it is visible once the hoof is nipped off. My moms horse Tres has WLD and he is fine, its nothing terribly serious, we just keep an eye on it.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:00 AM   #17
Pasture Pet

Noni, I was wondering how in the world you could see the white line from that angle !? I thought to myself, "Man, she's good!" Ya know, you are SO lucky to have such wonderful people where you board. That's the funniest thing! And they didn't rub it in and degrade you or lord it over you, just took advantage of the situation

I'm with the other guys, you get credit for paying attention. And after all, that's how we learn. Its really bad judgment to fear ridicule so much that we don't ask, and therefore don't learn. You keep reading those books and asking questions. Sounds like you have a much better deal at this barn. I'm very happy for you!

I noticed that coronet band is of different widths on different horses. And I notice that their hooves grow at different rates. I wonder if there is a connection?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #18
Seasoned

I do try to pay good attention to him, and yes, no one at this barn holds the fact that I'm new against me. They are really great, and kind...and fun. I am having sooooo much fun there, even though I'm still recovering and can't ride. It's nice to be with people who don't give one grief, or make fun of new people.

Best-
Noni

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Horse Stories