Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Coming two

Hoof Hardener Recommendations?

My horse, Apollo, has been a bit footsore on gravel/rocks after his last trim. This is very unusual for him. Is there anything I can do to help harden his hooves up a bit? I mostly ditch ride with him so he doesn't have to walk on gravel/rocks very often but at the odd spot he does.

He usually has rock hard hooves but spent some time in a diet pen this spring (which was quite muddy at one point). I'd like to avoid paying for shoes if possible!

Thanks all!
apollojunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
Weanling Member

Keratex worked for my haffie after I first bought him. It is rather pricey $40 for a bottle (but you use very little, so bottle lasts a while). I saw results pretty quickly (within a few days). I quit using it after a week and he hasn't had sensitivity problems since **knock on wood**. I just used it on his soles, not white line or walls.
muh141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Kid Safe

hearty hoof. Seen that do some amazing things. It's DMSO and Iodine mixture. I was amazed at these thin-soled previously foundered horses were transformed with it. http://www.biganvil.com/

I think it's like 2 parts iodine to 1 part DMSO, or the opposite if you want to make it yourself.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Pasture Pet

Keratex or Venice Turpentine. Or even dilute Iodine can work.
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Greenbroke Member

A third for Keratex or Venice Turpentine, either you can get from the tack store.
*Giddy Up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
Kid Safe

I'm currently using Venice Turpentine on my thin soled gelding, who was totally sound, until my farrier butchered his hooves I'd definitely say the VT has been helping!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
.For me, if you are going to use a hoof hardener, Keratex wins hands down
Keratex actually strengthens those bonds, versus just hardening the sole, like any iodine or turpentine products
Yes, more pricy, but worth it
Of course, one has to realize that any of these hoof hardeners are a 'bandaid'
solution, helping a horse who someone thinned the soles on,or a horse living in wet conditions.
Ultimately, if you have a thin soled horse, you also have a horse without enough sole,depth, either thinned by an ignorant farrier, or due to distal decent
Those issues arr addressed by diet,allowing sole concavity an depth to build, and fostering a good hoof heath, by feeding a great hood supplement, or making sure you are using a good mineral supplement, as the two are closely related

Last edited by Smilie; 07-18-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollojunior View Post
My horse, Apollo, has been a bit footsore on gravel/rocks after his last trim. This is very unusual for him. Is there anything I can do to help harden his hooves up a bit? I mostly ditch ride with him so he doesn't have to walk on gravel/rocks very often but at the odd spot he does.

He usually has rock hard hooves but spent some time in a diet pen this spring (which was quite muddy at one point). I'd like to avoid paying for shoes if possible!

Thanks all!
i'm going to hazard a guess that your farrier pared off a little more sole than usual/necessary this time and Apollo is feeling the effects of that, especially if he's not usually this way after a trim. the spring time muddiness i think would not have left any lasting effect after this dry weather we've had? my own mare's feet were quite soft on the sole during 'mud season' but are hard as can be again.

i don't have enough experience with hoof hardening remedies so i'll let others chime in on that.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Coming two

Apollo waited until the day I bought keratex to stop being foot sore.... I'm going to keep it just in case I need it in the future.
apollojunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:23 AM   #10
Newborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta View Post
Keratex or Venice Turpentine. Or even dilute Iodine can work.
Cast my vote here too...currently working on my Percheron mare who has to grow some hoof to put back her front shoes on she ripped off this spring. The toe area of the sole is very soft so I am rotating....one day of Venice of turpentine and the next night, keratex hoof hardener.

I give her Sundays off...but it is working quite well.
QH_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #11
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaGirl View Post
I'm currently using Venice Turpentine on my thin soled gelding, who was totally sound, until my farrier butchered his hooves I'd definitely say the VT has been helping!
How often do you apply VT on the hooves? It goes on the bottom of the hoof right? The entire hoof or just a section of the hoof? <First time user of this stuff. It looks like a clear glue almost. haha
Nypainthorsegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #12
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypainthorsegal View Post
How often do you apply VT on the hooves? It goes on the bottom of the hoof right? The entire hoof or just a section of the hoof? <First time user of this stuff. It looks like a clear glue almost. haha
We just applied it once a day, to the entire bottom of the hoof, except for the frog. I'm not sure that is correct though, so check the directions to be sure
Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #13
Started

My farrier and I just had a LONG conversation last night about how to toughen up my Paso's feet. He has a great toe callous, but not really any concavity to his feet (we're working on it!). She said now that his heels are really starting to look good, to put some Durasole on there to toughen them up. She said, honestly, with her own horses who are "ouchy", she's done it to them and in just 2 weeks noticed a marked improvement.

She recommended getting a toothbrush, adding a few drops of the Durasole to it, and brushing it onto the heel (for my horse) until it's soaked in, then repeat.

She said she's also had other clients who have used Durasole, and it's toughened up their feet SO much, she's had trouble trimming them.

I'm going to be trying it as my boy is a BABY over the smallest of rocks (always has been). If a horse could talk, mine would be going "OW!! OUCH!! Owwwwwwieeeee!!!"

Arabian: El Sidar ("Socks")
AERC Mileage: 80 LD
shayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #14
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaGirl View Post
We just applied it once a day, to the entire bottom of the hoof, except for the frog. I'm not sure that is correct though, so check the directions to be sure
Great! Thanks for the info.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #15
Kid Safe

Although this thread started near a year ago and now resurrected again...

Those "hoof hardening" products can work....limited.
Yes, you paint the sole of the hoof, not the frog.
However, what is not told to you is when your farrier comes and does the horses feet and "cleans" up the sole he removes the product.
It is a irritant and makes a callous...then the callous is peeled off {paring the sole} and you need to start the irritation process of building a callous again.

I can tell you I would not be painting the bulbs of my horses feet with Durasole either...that stuff is nasty regardless of what people say...

I found these on a farriers forum....

Venice turpentine is a disinfectant and anti-bacterial, but like many others it can be used as a counter-irritant. The "toughening" effect is from nerve oxidation and death.

Durasole...An antibacterial, antifungal, drying agent formulated to thicken and toughen the exfoliating sole and frog. Relieves sore soles and is effective in the control of white line disease and thrush. Available in a 4 oz. bottle.
Here is the link to the manufacturer of the product.
Read that entire "how it works and the care instructions to apply and what to do if you get it on you...

http://www.durasole.com/Durasole_use.html
Oh and here is what it is made up of...
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_library...26f&showText=1
BTW...formalin. The second largest ingredient in Durasole is FORMALDEHYDE!
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4071824AAFTZo9
That is enough to make me think twice...

Shayla...are you aware that many Paso's are borderline/undiagnosed IR?
I found that out from a vet where I live who is "the bomb" I'm told in Paso issues.
My next door neighbor has a Paso gelding, wonderful horse who sounds exactly like yours with issues...everything you wrote he had and more..
I don't know, but from observation I can tell you a change of diet to low carb and sugar, no fertilized pasture, limited grazing and alfalfa or peanut hay...the horse next door is now doing amazing. The horse now takes a pill a day for his IR issue {sugar reduction pill?} is sound and moves like a WINNER!
This guy was such a gimp...he foundered too which is also a issue, mild but it is there.
Today, if you can say a foundered horse is sound...then he is sound.
My neighbor did the durasole routine faithfully....horse would get barely ouchy, farrier would come and ouch, ouch, and more ouch all over again. Did the above change in food fed and the issue now is not a issue. In fact the horse just went on a cattle drive over all kinds of terrain with "0" problems with his feet and healthy body!!
Just something for you to look into with your guy...

Of course your horses, your decisions to make on the care of your horses...
Be informed though of what those products are made of...for YOUR health and the health and well-being of your horse too.
horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #16
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayla View Post
My farrier and I just had a LONG conversation last night about how to toughen up my Paso's feet. He has a great toe callous, but not really any concavity to his feet (we're working on it!). She said now that his heels are really starting to look good, to put some Durasole on there to toughen them up. She said, honestly, with her own horses who are "ouchy", she's done it to them and in just 2 weeks noticed a marked improvement.

She recommended getting a toothbrush, adding a few drops of the Durasole to it, and brushing it onto the heel (for my horse) until it's soaked in, then repeat.

She said she's also had other clients who have used Durasole, and it's toughened up their feet SO much, she's had trouble trimming them.

I'm going to be trying it as my boy is a BABY over the smallest of rocks (always has been). If a horse could talk, mine would be going "OW!! OUCH!! Owwwwwwieeeee!!!"
Toughning up a soft sole is one thing, but no product painted on, is going to compensate for a thin sole, due to dietary issues, laminitis, and resulting distal decent, which will result in a flat sole with lack of concavity
That coffin bone is still going to be close to the ground, and hence sole sensitivity
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #17
Long Yearling

paper on the hoof?

how come on the directions for Venice Turpentine it says to put paper on the hoof after applying the Venice Turpentine. What kind of paper? and for how long? What does the paper do?

thanks.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk