Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > The Hitching Post
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #1
Bombproof Member

2017 Life Updates

*looks around at the dust*

*wipes off a seat at the bar*

So ... what all are you up to in the new year 2017?

I'll go first, and try to keep it kinda short. I know, that's so not like me.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase of "new lease on life" after being sick in 2015 and going thru a couple of surgeries. So I'm trying to do as many things as I can that are new experiences. The latest is volunteering more at the local animal shelter.

Jacques the now 20-something black clydesdale is enjoying the good life of retirement. He's boarded at a facility that doesn't even have riding trails or arena, indoor or out. The lady there takes amazing care of the horses, and I joke about how she takes better care than I would if I had them at home. (seriously!) He's still in pretty good weight, and doesn't seem too lame most days, but gets previcox to help a little with it.

Reggie is just shy of 10 years old, and I've had him for 4.5 years. In that time, I'd say he's been lame as often as sound, and everytime I think we're going good he has another period of 6-8 weeks waiting for lameness to go away. I've sent him to a myriad of different vets and taken him to a university hospital, and basically they keep telling me what's NOT wrong. So at last in the fall I finally decided to just go ahead and move him in with Jacques and stop trying to ride him for at least the winter. He's got shoes on both fronts in an effort to see if that helps, and we may try some light riding again in the Spring, but I've reset my mindset with him from young horse needing training to oh well we'll just ride when we can and he can be semi-retired. At least the great thing with him is that he can sit for weeks without riding and pick up where he left off, he's not in need of re-training each time, or else we'd be in really terrible shape!

Feline wise, I still have three cats, Tigger, Pluma, and Murphy. Tig I adopted in 2000. Pluma I adopted in 2003. Murphy came to live with me in 2009 as a hospice case with no liver function and not expected to live more than 2 weeks. Yah right. All three have the senior kitty-itis, creaky limbs, poor kidney function so on prescription diets, pills once or three times a day, etc. But they all seem happy with life, so we carry on.

Fish wise, I have a 75 gallon aquarium and the fish I've had since 1991 and 1993 (yes, you read that century right) are still going OK. But one I got in 2001ish just died, and I'm afraid for the other two elderlies. And the 29 gallon fish tank has 4 neon tetras, down from the original dozen or so. They are slowly reaching their end of life, and I've decided not to refill that tank.

And the newest addition to the family is Miss Rosie, a poodle mix who wandered into my yard in March of 2015. She weighed only 10lbs at the time, and has a normal weight of 20. She's been a challenge, with me never having a dog before in my life, and her being so distrusting of humans and hateful of other dogs. So I've been learning to apply horse training skills to dogs ... the timing is critical, and you have to know a bit of their psychology, but she's a smart dog and wants to please.

Since I'm not riding this winter, and have some recently acquired doggie skills, that's why I'm trying to commit to at least an hour a week to work with dogs at the local shelter. They are the ones slated for adoption, and not at risk of being put down, but all could use some basic manners to help them find a good furever home.

Cheers, and happy 2017!

(short enough?)
Lady_MCSE is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > The Hitching Post