Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > The Hitching Post
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Bombproof Member

Help Me Eat Healthy!

Everything I see and hear says that leafy greens are super important. I need ways to cook/recipes to make them; spinach, collard greens, kale, etc; that is good.
Can you help me out?

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Yearling Member

I am a terrible cook and definitely not a foodie so I'm not much help. The restaurant where I used to work had a fantastic spinach salad with walnuts, dried cranberries, orange wedges and a raspberry vinaigrette and banana bread on the side. I add croutons to every salad, I just like salads with crunch.

There is a HT recipe sticky under the Random Stuff thread, you could scroll through that and see if there's anything that sounds delicious.

Good luck with that, its not so easy to change your eating habits!
Petaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Halter broke

Raw collards are delicious. You can bake and salt kale to make it unto chips that are actually pretty good as well.
Horsebackchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
Bombproof Member

Getting a rave review on something gives me more courage to try it! Raw is would be best, cooking seems to remove or reduce some of the nutrients so often.
Will be trying the Kale chips also.
Thanks for both of the responses!

but it helps!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Halter broke

Almost every night I have a salad made of baby spinach leaves, a little bit of shredded Cheddar cheese, and light home-made salad dressing. Great way to get those "leafy greens"!

Saltys Red Rock ~ 2006 AQHA gelding ~ "Red"
CK Grey Meatball ~ 2011 AQHA gelding ~ "Shotgun" (Baby)

beau159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
Yearling Member

We eat a lot of Bok Choy. It's easy to grow and cook. Chop it up and throw it in anything. It doesn't affect the taste much and actually mellows it a bit. I put it in 10 min. before serving a curry, for example.

Watercress is also super good as a raw salad. Just use it instead of lettuce. It taste like a mellow radish. Don't be afraid to eat the thick stems.
Hicoteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:53 AM   #7
Yearling Member

my wife has been making green juices. She puts a bunch of stuff in a blender with some water and then through a strainer. Its better in a juice maker, though. They are pretty good. You can get the recipes off the net. The last one had: green apple, parsley, and celery. Your suppose to drink it 3 days a week.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Bombproof Member

Healthy eating is about eating what nature provides, not what a manufacturer adulterates. Stick to the fruit and veggie aisle and you can't go wrong.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #9
Bombproof Member

I will look for Bok Choy and Watercress. The more choices the better.
I agree that fruits and veggies are always the way to go, if you can find any not laden down with chemicals. That's the hard part! There does seem to be lots of organic available. I do want to check out meat lockers, meat locally raised and processed.

but it helps!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Halter broke

Beet leaves! Super yummy in a spinach salad.

Replace pasta noodles with spaghetti squash, or zucchini. You'll still love spaghetti, fettuccine, and lasagne, but get more veggies and way less carbs.

When you boil/steam organic and washed veggies, keep the water to use instead of beef, chicken, or veggie stock. Less salt, fat, and any other additives. You can add your own seasoning.

If you want to start growing your lettuce, spinach, and Swiss Chard, look up square foot gardening. In four square feet, you can grow a salad for nearly every day of the growing season.
I also grown potatoes in a garbage can to save space.
knipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knipper View Post
I also grown potatoes in a garbage can to save space.
Tell me more about "garbage can potatoes"! We have never had luck with spuds. How do you do it and do they grow large enough?
Old 03-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #12
Halter broke

I drill drain holes and weigh down an empty garbage can (I use the big plastic ones) with two rocks, just to make sure it doesn't tip in the first month. I put 4-5 seeder potato parts in each bin, spread evenly apart. I cover them with 2-4 inches of composted manure.
Water when dry, place in a sunny spot. When the flowers start to form, I dump about 5-6 inches of composted manure on top.
I repeat this until the manure is about 6-9 inches from the top, then I just let them grow. ...Though sometimes, I will raid the top layers for baby potatoes... When the flowers die off and the leaves turn brown, or the first real frost comes, I tip the can out on a tarp and harvest.
The lower down ones are bigger than the top layer.
One can will grow enough for two people for half the winter.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:37 PM   #13
Yearling Member

I have four old 35 gal. plastic garbage cans that developed holes in the bottom!

So, to start I put a couple of big rocks in but no soil? Just the starter potato and some compost on top? Are you saying that as the plant grows you slowly fill up the garbage can with more and more compost?

How long does it usually take to have a decent sized spud?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #14
Halter broke

The rocks are there just to stop it from toppling over. I do put the starters on compost, with more on top. Yup, I slowly fill it up as it grows, but you HAVE to wait until the flower starts to form before covering it. The leaves can stick out a bit (I haven't noticed a difference with my harvest).
When I dump the barrel, at least the bottom half of the barrel is the decent fist sized potatoes, depending on how well I water them. In the top half I might get 5-7 that are throw away gum ball sized, the rest are nice baby potatoes size. Don't compact the compost, that stunts the growth.

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > The Hitching Post