Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > The Hitching Post
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
Newborn Member

Single Axel horse trailer.... worries.

Hi, im new here and i just have a question.
I am currently looking to buy a horse trailer and here in Idaho almost everyone has turned me down because apparently payments are not cool, or they think they can have the horse trailer sold by next week which is cool but whatever on to my point. I posted an ad on craigslist stating what i needed, although i didn't know about double axle and I've done some research and i saw that double axle is better than a single axle, so my question is, Is it possible to convert a single axle to a double axle?

i know converting (if possible) might cost alot and it might be better to just decline the offer and look for a double axel when i can pay for the horse trailer in full without payments but id like to have a horse trailer to train my horse to get in and out of since shes not that well trained to get in and out of trailers. Especially if i am going to train her to be a trail/mountain horse
HybridMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Kid Safe

My opinion is....WAIT!

A single axle trailer conversion is possible but going to be costly and a band-aid to what you truly want.
There is no nice ride in a single axle, single wheel trailer... bouncy as all get out.
There is also a safety issue if you have a blow-out on the road the trailer will fall and become very unstable for you to handle, increasing sway and flip chances.

There are single axle trailers but with dual wheels (like on a dually truck) which are more stable and steady and offer better safety.

Why not while saving $$ for what you really want (think you are not keen on this trailer) make something that can resemble a trailer situation... tarped top, dark and narrow entrance, step up on to some very strong and sturdy flooring... a way to lock the "butt bar"...
Have you thought to look at a local horse trailer dealer... they take trade-ins and then can help with the financing also giving you some peace of mind of road worthiness.
I would also look at Dixie Mule & Trailer, ( www.dhmco.com ) they are a trailer dealer who sells new and used and lists hundreds of trailers in all brands, ages and prices...they may have what you are searching for or a link to other dealers..

Good luck and happy shopping.

And..

WELCOME to HT!

horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Weanling Member

Agree with everything hl4l said, and welcome!

There are lots of threads on HT about teaching horses to load. It pretty much boils down to if you have a loading problem than what you really have is a leading problem.

Go through the threads and work on the leading, by the time you get a trailer, your horse should load!
horsehair101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Started

My first trailer (home made, back in the fifties) was a single axle, actually made from a the rear axle of an old Chevrolet. It was high, wide, and had a tailgate/ramp that weighed a ton. It was sold to a local trailer rental outfit that used it for another twenty years.

I've actually seen a few single axle goose-neck trailers custom made down here in Florida. Though what the advantage is, I can't tell you.

They tow a little differently than a four-wheel trailer, turning sharper. They are harder to back, in my experience.

Having a blow-out on a two wheel trailer is worse than having a blow out on a four wheel trailer, obviously. Can cause major problems at high speed.

Would I buy one? If I found one in good shape, particularly a one horse, I might.

BTW, a single axle trailer actually puts more weight on the hitch than a dual axle trailer, so don't buy it thinking it will be easier on your towing vehicle!
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > The Hitching Post