Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > The Hitching Post
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Bombproof Member

What does Hitchy mean?

Looking around at ads, not seriously going to buy (yet). But looking at drafts, often do driving along with riding. Ads often say they are "hitchy." What does that mean?

Looking around on HT, was going to put this in random stuff, but then figured where better to put it than this "hitching post" spot!
Lady_MCSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Bombproof Member

*bump*

Anyone?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Kid Safe

In my mind, it means a horse that is best suited to driving. They have alot of "action"- picking their feet up with each step, even without weighted shoes. They often have a high head set, best suited to carrying a collar for driving. These are valued highly among the draft drivers.

Generally, they are not as much fun to ride....

Hope that helps...
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Coming two

Now the first thought that pops into my head is just like when people refer to a cinchy horse. This horse will be more than a handful to hitch up.

Perhaps it has been a pulling horse and if you have ever watched how those horses are revved up when backing to the hitch. It's a wonder more handlers and horses aren't hurt.

Equine love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
Seasoned

Trappy, Hitchy=high stepping fancy movers!
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklesshoundog View Post
Trappy, Hitchy=high stepping fancy movers!
Coming from someone that owns a Shire mare that's "hitchy", I agree with Recklesshoundog.
lolmstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
Bombproof Member

Thanks everyone! I figured that it did have to do with being good on the hitch, but hadn't thought about the head high, high stepping stuff.

Mr. Jacques can totally do the high stepping stuff, but he's still fun to ride. I can't tell you if he does the high stepping when I'm in the saddle or not. My guess is no.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Yearling Member

to comment on Equine Love's post ... I saw my first Draft pull at our agriculture agribition last year...and I was amazed at how high strung those drafts got when backed up. There were many false starts, and some very close to fingers getting pulled off I'm sure when they dropped the connector in!

It's good to know what hitchy means- I would have thought it related to cinchy too.
Majandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
GV4
Yearling Member

Yes, hitchy refers to way of going, not temperament. Here are a couple photos of Keegan loose in the field. The first shot shows him in a more 'hitchy' trot...the one I want to drive. Notice the higher headset and elevation of both knee and hock. The second photo shows him in a more ground covering trot...the one I want to ride. Lower head set and more swing from the shoulder and hip with less up and down motion.
Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1309a.jpg (83.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1285a.jpg (85.4 KB, 8 views)
GV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV4 View Post
Yes, hitchy refers to way of going, not temperament. Here are a couple photos of Keegan loose in the field. The first shot shows him in a more 'hitchy' trot...the one I want to drive. Notice the higher headset and elevation of both knee and hock. The second photo shows him in a more ground covering trot...the one I want to ride. Lower head set and more swing from the shoulder and hip with less up and down motion.
Hope that helps.

GV4, I've totally seen that "hitchy" trot out of Jacques! I just always called it his high stepping trot. Didn't realize it was "hitchy." He's hilarious when he does it, because I swear the throws in a bit of proud flair like, "look at me, I am stutting my stuff!!!"

I have no idea if he does it while I'm on his back ... although last week we did a bit of trotting on trail that suddenly felt like it was gaiting. I'd bet that's what he was doing.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Newborn Member

hitchy menas he has a hitch in his step, not smooth, likely a nod in the front or (usually when said hitchy it's a rise in the motion of the hip/ thus hitchy
festus is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > The Hitching Post