Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > The Hitching Post
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #21
aes
Greenbroke Member

No, I don't feel like I really made any bad decisions I just really wish I'd have decided to learn to ride a LOT sooner and I'd be way further ahead. Now that I'm married and in my 30s I sort of feel like we'd better have a baby soon, and that will take away from this magical horsey thing I've only just discovered. Sigh.

But that is small in the scheme of things and so overall - no complaints.

I'm glad I got married later and waited to have kids, I know myself pretty well, I have done and seen a lot, my career is pretty established AND I will never regret my wedding day wishing I could have afforded something better because I was too young. I know a wedding isn't a big deal in the long run but I just got the final album back from the photographer so it's on my mind today.
aes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #22
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterkeeper View Post
All we can do now is go forward!! I really do think everything happens for a reason! If you could really go back and change something that happened you would not be who you are today!! Love yourself for who you are, all you can change is the future!
I seriously completely agree with this! You are who you are today for the choices you made "yesterday". You can't change the past but you have total control of your future!
cindyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #23
Pasture Pet

I enjoy who i am today, and my hubby and the horses and my kids.
if i had my choice i would have become an attorney, i wanted to be a police officer by in my day that was a no no.
instead i married at 19 had my first child at 20 and my second at 21, yes i would have done things a bit different.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #24
Yearling Member

The only thing I would have changed is, I would have gone to vet school instead of nursing school and become a large animal vet instead of a little people nurse!!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #25
Long Yearling

I would have taken the chance and gone to Olds College for their equine program instead of the safe ie job readily available, course at RDC. However, then I wouldn't have met my hubby, had my kids. My life would have been completly different, and I love my life right now.
Chrystalstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #26
Yearling Member

Sadly, I guess I have a lot of regrets. I regret not pursuing a career in veterinary sciences. I was all approved to go, but got denied the educational assistance I wanted to afford to go (but could have gotten around this... somehow)... I basically, though, stayed behind for a boy. Duh.

I regret marrying my first husband. After we were married and several lies about him were revealed, he admitted he told me said lies "in order to get me" Nice.

And... don't get me wrong, I love my husband to pieces, but I'm not sure I would have married him again if I had known how things would be for me, he comes with a LOT of baggage that has been very very hard on me over the years.

I try not to let it down, and sorta bottle it up, which isn't good, but not sure what else to do about it. I guess everyone has something, right?
whippetlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #27
Greenbroke Member

My goodness whippetlover, we have some shared regrets.

I know I would have made a good vet, cripes I diagnose the customers dogs for them, some even call me for advice before going to a vet, I always say though well if it was my dog this is what I'd do!

Last edited by Lorddaxter; 02-02-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Lorddaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #28
Seasoned

I'd have made D*MN sure I followed a career path instead of following him where his led. ;(
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #29
Kid Safe

I am often amazed at just how I wound up in such a good spot. I never thought I would marry at all, much less a pastor, nor have 3 wonderful daughters, who have all found great hubbies, and given me 6 grandchildren (so far). I have 3 nice horses, and the barn and land to keep them on. I don't have to work outside the home, and instead raise wonderful Airedales. I have a college degree, and while I don't use it as far as income, it allowed me to be involved in music, which I love. Our home is paid for, and we have no debt. My church family is great - most of the time.

Can't think what I might have changed, really - except to winter in Florida, perhaps
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #30
Seasoned

Family wise: NO regrets... Great hubby, beautiful kids. 2 great dogs. Hubby lets me indulge in small critters. And shares my dream for a horse someday. We have a nice house. Make decent money- just need to pay off bills , then we will get a HORSE !! =)

Now for school. I dropped out in 11th grade. But.. I am going back right now. I am going to get my MA or CNA... As much as I like being a stay at home mom, I need to be "ME" and do things that I like. I need to be out there helping somehow. Cant do rescue, they'd NEVER leave if I did that.

So... at this point only regret is not buying the suv when my hubby wanted me to! Got a saturn sedan- although fully loaded- it doesnt like the snow much. So in the next year or two, I have to get a new car. Even though mine is fully paid for , its an '03 and ONLY has 45k miles on it right now....
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #31
Seasoned

I'm with you on the car thing. Camaro + snow doesn't do anything good. As soon as I get a new job, I'll look at it!!!
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #32
Weanling Member

I wish I had never married my farrier and had moved to Colorado to help the roping arena owner I worked for.

However, I'm happy now where i am and wouldn't have it any other way. I love my husband and my four boys and i'm glad I have them. <3

Proud horse mother of:
Zippys Delight, Peppys Chrome Sensation, and Go-Boomerang-Go!
ZippysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #33
Weanling Member

Woulda' coulda' shoulda'

Like so many I wish I had stayed in school and got a much better education. My goal was to finish high school, get a job, get a horse, which I did and not having much money I did things the wrong way, no lessons etc. I learned as I went and experience it the only teacher that gives the test before the lesson and I have to say it can be a tough way to learn. I did a lot of things wrong and have often wished I could start over and hopefully not make the same mistakes. But... if I had done that I would not have met the wonderful man that I am now married to. He is good to me and supports (both financially and physically) my horse addiction.

This love of horses is a disease and there is no cure for it. I was raised in a city but loved horses my whole life, can not imagine not having them in my life
Bonny41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #34
Kid Safe

Had to think about that one! Wish I had gone ahead and got my teaching certificate before I got married ,and taught school. My marriage ended about 7 years ago. While I was blessed to have daughter who has given me grandkids,I should have married totally different person, I thought I was doing it because I thought it was what I was suppose to do. If I had been teacher I probably would be retired by now and maybe working part-time,and not thinking I will probably have to work till my mid-60s.

If not at home try the barn.
beckyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #35
Yearling Member

Always...the only thing I regret is not being kinder to everyone I've ever met.

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #36
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
Always...the only thing I regret is not being kinder to everyone I've ever met.
What a lovely thought, Pata. Reading that just made my day. Thank you.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #37
Yearling Member

One of the things involved in changing the past would be a change in the future, and it could be not what you'd expect. So what I say may not be what I would do, if given the choice to predict the future. It's entirely possible that some of the "bad" things may have had "good" consequences indirectly.

Anyways, things that I have wished to change:

1. Actually tried in high school, and worked towards a future career from the get-go. Sure I was naturally good in high school, but I screwed around and missed out on potential scholarships, awards, etc. I likely should have gone to the academic school instead of the drama/trades one since I had no interest in either of those. This likely impacted my ability to study and pick a direction to go in, in university.

2. Actually tried to take care of my health and body before I lost that "invincible" feeling. It's so simple to fix, but keeping bad posture, poor nutrition, and barely sleeping have long term effects on the body and mind that you just don't see as a teenager.

3. I would never have given up on having horses in my life. I lost a part of myself for a while.
Majandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #38
Yearling Member

I wish I hadn't taken my riding/horses for granted. At one point in my life, I was riding at least 5 times a week, I was helping at the barn, I was around them most days, then I decided I wanted to get into showing/more serious with my riding, and I left that situation and rode for about half a year at a new barn before I stopped riding all together.

I miss it.
multigraincheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #39
Seasoned

When I was younger, yes I did look back and wish "if only".

I now realize I am the person I am because of the good and the bad, especially the bad. I could not possibly have the insights I have today if I had not experiences the times when things went rough and seemed so horrible. Had I chosen differently, I would be a different person and I like who I became.

With age comes wisdom
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #40
Greenbroke Member

Ditto Majandra -- I wish I hadn't given up horses for a large portion of my life. I missed the connection and freedom I had when riding and I was in much better shape physically & mentally when riding.
Horses have helped me with my divorce (they have provided a listening ear and sympathy when required). I now own 2.

I would have listened to those inner "voices" that told me not to do something, or to proceed with caution. Would that have changed anything, probably not.

Like RGF says, our past experiences have made us who we are today, if we had chosen differently, or done things differently, then we wouldn't be who we are.

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > The Hitching Post