Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Weanling Member

Question Mineral Salt Vs. Himalayan Salt blocks

This may have been discussed before but I missed it..

I was wondering what the majority what people here on HT use between the 2 types of salt Mineral Salt blocks or Himalayan Salt blocks.

What are the benefits to the Himalayan Salt for those of you that use it?

Any pros and cons to each?

I am looking at a cataloge that sales the Himalayan salt and see that it is a bit more pricey that the normal mineral salt blocks that I use, and I have always wondered what the differences are between the two...

Any thoughts? Please inform me and others who are probably wondering the same thing?

Life with out a horse, is not having a life..
I need a hobby..Anyone got any ideas...
Raaslita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Bombproof Member

my Purina Equine PhD pal says if you are feeding quality feed, a white salt block is all that is necessary.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
Seasoned

Himalayan salt blocks are as hard as a rock...literally. They last much longer than the mineral ones.
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Pasture Pet

I feed neither-loose minerals only so ..I am interested in the Himalayan salt too.

Last edited by ToveroMom; 10-27-2008 at 06:25 PM.
ToveroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Pasture Pet

I use the Himalayan salt and mineral blocks. They are mined straight out of the ground like they are, and are very hard!! The big thing that sold me on them is that the horses LOVE them, where they ignore the plain, inexpensive brown bricks. I also feed a vitamin and mineral supplement, but they love the Himalayan salt blocks. They are more expensive, but I would rather spend the money on something they will use, instead of less on something they will just ignore.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
A J
Greenbroke Member

I haven't tried the Himalayan blocks yet, but was thinking about it.

Otherwise I use loose mineral (free choice) and electrolytes added to their feed.

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Pasture Pet

Thanks for the info Carri.
You know the weird thing is that salt can taste different..I use sea salt or Kosher salt and it does taste better to me.

Last edited by ToveroMom; 10-27-2008 at 08:10 PM.
ToveroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Weanling Member

Thanks everyone I see we have a well rounded group here.. Glad to wee that I am not only one curious about these salt licks

I normally let the horses have free access to the mineral salt licks int the feeders and they seem to do fine..

I have just always seen the himalyan salt blocks and have been curious about them..

Any feed back on them is great

Life with out a horse, is not having a life..
I need a hobby..Anyone got any ideas...
Raaslita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Started

Socks LOVES his "special" salt block. The first few nights, we had to take it out of his stall he was literally nursing on it! Zak still tries to chew his without any real headway. I don't think I'd go back to regular block salt again.

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot the tourists?
Horse_Orderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Pasture Pet

Man that is great news-they have it for people too I see. OK so it is not on a string..LOL
Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
Started

Last edited by oveywon; 01-11-2009 at 08:25 AM.
oveywon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
Halter broke

Where do you get them?

"THERE IS NO KEY TO HAPPINESS, THE DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN"
chris6351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
Pasture Pet

I buy them in our local tack shop, I know you can get them online, too. The ones I use are Hilton Herbals brand.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
Started

Last edited by oveywon; 01-11-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
Pasture Pet

The only ones I have seen are like cylinders with the middle hollowed out-but they just hang from a rope-is that what you mean? They do not have to go in a holder.
Like this pic?
http://horsesalt.com/
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #16
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6351 View Post
Where do you get them?
I've seen them for sale on Ebay and there you can read feedback from those who have purchased them. I'm very interested too, esp now that the cold weather has arrived. Had some ice to chip through today for the 1st time. If they would encourage my horses to drink more water through the winter months, they'd justify the much higher price for me.

"Ye've the look of a scoundrel! And a dandysprat and a ragamuffin. Though I'll admit, for all that, ye could yet be a congressman". From Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story"
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #17
Pasture Pet

ah Ebay-cannot believe I did not think of that-thanks Jean!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #18
Started

Last edited by oveywon; 01-11-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #19
Pasture Pet

The ones I buy are just like big rocks, they are not smooth edged like that, but they have holes drilled through the middle so you can hang them.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #20
Yearling Member

I've always used Firefly for my himalayan salt blocks. I started out with the 1-2# blocks on a rope, that I tie in her stall. It keeps her from munching on her stall and she loves it! I tried the 5# block, but she bit it in half, thus wasing a big chunk. They just sent me an email advertising free shipping:

www.fireflytraders.com wishes to thank all of their loyal customers and are now offering special deals for those early holiday shoppers. ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************************* $40.00 for two 6-7 lb Himalayan Salt Licks on a Rope with FREE shipping USA via priority mail. Here is the link http://www.fireflytraders.com/index....id/0/id/374515 ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************************** Deal Number 2: $20.00 for 3 lbs Himalayan Salt Chunks with FREE Shipping USA via priority mail. Here is the link. http://www.fireflytraders.com/index....id/0/id/374516