Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Yearling Member

Dislocated hip?

Hello everyone,

I have a little POA pony that went down this morning... wouldnt get up... not colic she was going to the bathroom just fine. I thought she was just not liking the sun today and was being lazy. Well tonight she is favoring her back leg and on further inspection she seemed to be favoring her hip area... it even looks a bit more boney then normal in her hip area. I dont even know why Im posting this except that I dont even know what to do for her... I gave her a tiny bit of bute to try and make her more comfortable. What else can I do for her? Beside the obvious of having the vet out which I plan to do... but in the mean time?

Also please say a pray for applesauce. The greatest pony in the world.

Last edited by ARSPSB; 09-17-2008 at 08:26 PM.
ARSPSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Kid Safe

Hope she'll be okay, poor Applesauce . She is favoring her leg, but up at the moment, is that right?

Do you have access to an equine chiropractor? If you really think it's her hip, that's who I'd call, but mine have never gone down from having a hip out though...
Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaGirl View Post
Hope she'll be okay, poor Applesauce . She is favoring her leg, but up at the moment, is that right?

Do you have access to an equine chiropractor? If you really think it's her hip, that's who I'd call, but mine have never gone down from having a hip out though...

No shes not up... shes laying down on the ground and wont get up unless you really make her. I made her get up to make sure it wasnt colic at first. But when shes up she like holds it up at the hip area kind of weird. And when you touch her hip area she kind of flinchs.

Dont know of an equine chiropractor but I bet I could find one.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Started

Well anytime they are down and won't get up, there is cause for worry. See if both sides "feel" the same, don't just look, get in there and feel. I don't think if it was dislocated you would be strong enough to put it back in, especially after any time at all because the muscles pull in to protect the joint. So you really would need to have a vet out, asap...with a dislocation, time matters. I am having a hard time imagining anything, that would have that much force, could happen to her just out in the pasture, though..any ideas?

k

“Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.”
St Francis
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Kid Safe

Yikes, that's not good, I thought she was up now - I wouldn't want to say call a chiro first if it's a vet issue, but I do hate that vets never seem to know when it's a chiro issue and will explore all kinds of stuff on our $, when it may have been something simple...

Anyhow, if she's down, maybe you need to call a vet first. If you can't get a vet appointment right away, it may not hurt to see if you can't find a chiro and call them to ask what their thoughts on it are as well... I've seen them very 'lame' on the hind from having a hip out, but have never seen them down, so it sounds pretty scary .
Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezwing View Post
Well anytime they are down and won't get up, there is cause for worry. See if both sides "feel" the same, don't just look, get in there and feel. I don't think if it was dislocated you would be strong enough to put it back in, especially after any time at all because the muscles pull in to protect the joint. So you really would need to have a vet out, asap...with a dislocation, time matters. I am having a hard time imagining anything, that would have that much force, could happen to her just out in the pasture, though..any ideas?

k

Exactly! Time matters when it comes to a hip being out....you have a 2-4 hour window and that's it! If it's not put back in, she will not be normal again and it will continue to pop out and become unrideable.....

Another Scenario: Does she drag her leg or stand with leg behind her when she gets up to move? If so, she could be stifled? Most of the time, the tendon goes to the inside of the kneecap and it's really a vet's job to put the knee tendon back in place and I'm not saying for you to try this but we have in the past and it worked. The horse was sore for a day or two afterwards but it never came out again. So what we did was run up against horse in the stifle area and bump it hard and it is not very easy to do and you have to know where the tendon is positioned in order to know where to ram....so again, I am not telling you this for you to go out and do this I am telling you this because it is a similar injury area......you need a vet with something like this....especially if you haven't done it before.

Last edited by SACREDWINDWALKER; 09-17-2008 at 09:26 PM.
SACREDWINDWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Yearling Member

>>

Ill try and anwser what everyone says... yell at me if I dont answer ya though. Im a bit stressed out.

I have already felt both sides... and to be she feels a bit more boney on the sore side in her hip area. The front upper part of her leg... very high up in the front. She flinchs and looks at her when I touch that idea. She doesnt hold her hoof up but kind of bends her hip area a weird way when you make her stand.

I am very very far out and there is no way I can get a vet out in the next couple hours... *dies* I cant believe this...

I dont get how she did this in a stall...

SACREDWINDWALKER- Does she drag her leg or stand with leg behind her when she gets up to move? If so, she could be stifled?

Hmm Im not sure.. I didnt watch her get up. Just how she held it up when standing... which I said above. I dont know what Stifled is... Ill read up on that now.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
Started

I looked it up and it's also called locked kneecap or "Upward fixation of the Patella".

It says to try backing the horse up-sometimes this helps put it back in.....it also states that horses and ponies with straight stifles are predisposed to upward fixation of the patella.....treatment after getting it back in is 1-2 weeks stall rest and if it happens again, pony will need surgery to correct it..

Keep us posted! and I sure hope the pony doesn't have something that can't be fixed. I hope it's not the hip!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACREDWINDWALKER View Post
I looked it up and it's also called locked kneecap or "Upward fixation of the Patella".

It says to try backing the horse up-sometimes this helps put it back in.....it also states that horses and ponies with straight stifles are predisposed to upward fixation of the patella.....treatment after getting it back in is 1-2 weeks stall rest and if it happens again, pony will need surgery to correct it..

Keep us posted! and I sure hope the pony doesn't have something that can't be fixed. I hope it's not the hip!

I read about it to. Doesnt seem to be the right area... its not in her "knee" area. Its much higher then that. And it says their leg appears to be broken. Her leg doesnt look broken. Just her hip area looks and feels a bit out of place.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #10
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSPSB View Post
I read about it to. Doesnt seem to be the right area... its not in her "knee" area. Its much higher then that. And it says their leg appears to be broken. Her leg doesnt look broken. Just her hip area looks and feels a bit out of place.

I sure hope it's not the hip! But the more you describe, the more it's relating to the hip...

Get her up and try to walk her around......keep up posted on her movements....

Is there a vet on call that you could load her up and go see?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
Kid Safe

My horses have had their hip "out", but I've never actually dealt with an actual dislocation , yikes! I sure hope whatever it is, you get an answer quickly and it's fixable!

Can you call a vet and ask them to please help you somewhat over the phone? They probably can't actually diagnose, but should be able to narrow things down and give you some sort of plan of action
Old 09-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
Yearling Member

Quote:
I sure hope it's not the hip! But the more you describe, the more it's relating to the hip...

Get her up and try to walk her around......keep up posted on her movements....

Is there a vet on call that you could load her up and go see?

Walk her around? Is that good to do? Is that in hopes shell pop it back in or what? She can move but shes very painful to move.

I will keep everyone updated. Just not sure if I could go the vet route or chiro route.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
Started

In the hip dislocation section of the book that I have, it states that the ileum usually fractures before the hip dislocates....meaning most likely it is broken....prayers coming your way for your little one.....

Keep us posted.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #14
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSPSB View Post
Walk her around? Is that good to do? Is that in hopes shell pop it back in or what? She can move but shes very painful to move.

I will keep everyone updated. Just not sure if I could go the vet route or chiro route.

Since it's probably not a stifle issue, don't walk her around just keep her quiet, in a stall until you can get a vet.....yes, if it was the stifle joint, walking backwards would normally pop it back in........good luck with the pony!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #15
Greenbroke Member

Goodness gracious, I hope you're able to reach a vet. Sending prayers and well wishes for Applesauce that this is a fixable problem. Best of luck.

"Ye've the look of a scoundrel! And a dandysprat and a ragamuffin. Though I'll admit, for all that, ye could yet be a congressman". From Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story"
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
Yearling Member

Quote:
In the hip dislocation section of the book that I have, it states that the ileum usually fractures before the hip dislocates....meaning most likely it is broken....prayers coming your way for your little one.....

Keep us posted.

I will keep you in our prayers. Let us know how she makes out.
soft rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
Pasture Pet

Just coming into this. I am sorry about. Stress to the vet this is an emergency. Prayers and hugs coming for you both.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
Kid Safe

You need to have her seen but this sounds like a dropped hip to me. Very painful upon presentation, but can be rehabilitated. I ditto what Cameo said though, you need to have her seen immediately and she needs to be on pain meds anti inflammatories and stall rested. Please keep us posted!

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #19

I hope you were able to get the vet out.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #20
Started

Any updates?

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition