Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Yearling Member

Sadie (updated with pics)

I now know what happened to my mare 5 years ago...she got caught in a fence line.
Today, I witnessed Sadie put her foot over the bottom line, we didn't get to her in time, and she pulled back. Same injury, same foot, 5 years and 5 months to the day of Kandi's injury. I'm certain that Sadie's fate will not be the same as Kandi's, as she is young and very healthy (Kandi was healthy, but 23 years old).
So...of course, I hadn't restocked bute or penicillan...vets aren't open, can't afford the emergency call, so we ran to the closest town, 30 miles away, the store didn't sell either, come home and run to other horsey people...got some penicillan but no bute. I have alot of bandage, wraps, pads, gauze and diapers left from Kandi (all in sealed baggies to keep clean over the years)...and then topical meds...so that wasn't a problem...just the major things needed
The best thing was, we were here when it happened. So we were able to get cold water on it, medicine on it, pressure on it. Kandi lost a lot of blood by the time I found her. Sadie bled some but not alot. I wrapped it before we took off for Brookings, and unwrapped it when we got home...it looked great (clean wise), so I let it air for a while, then wrapped it for the night. We tore Choppers pen apart and made a 12 by 12 pen for her so she wasn't so mobile..as when she walks it opens because of where it is. Its going to take some time...but I think she will be ok. She seems to be in good spirits...I was so proud of her...she stood so still while I tried to fix her owie. She was so trusting...I kept telling her what a good girl she is and how sorry I was. She's pretty sore tonight tho, so I will be up at 6...treat her...be at the vets when they open at 8...get the antibiotics and bute...be late a couple of hours for work...
I'm trying to stay calm and think positive...but its a total flashback to Kandi...I can't go thru that again, but I know I need to....as its my fault...I seen that wire was loose, and had it on my do list. And its eating me alive...I just want to cry...that it was also my fault for Kandi...I know horses get in to things, even if we put them in a padded room they will still get hurt...but dang it I should of fixed it when I seen it. Coulda, shoulda, woulda...
so please...I just ask for prayers for Sadie.....

"Saving a horse may not change the world, but it will change the world for one horse." Melanie Bowles, founder of Proud Spirit Horse Sanctuary

Last edited by roguemare; 08-26-2008 at 02:04 PM.
roguemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
Greenbroke Member

I know how you are feeling I just wanted to cry when my little guy split open his chest -- not like that would have helped him -- me sitting down in the dirt . Six people have been over that pen 6 different times and we still can't figure out what he cut himself on.
Sending lots of (((((((((( HUGS )))))))))) your way and hope this will heal.
Horselessnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Bombproof Member

Lots of prayers for Sadie, and lots of (((((hugs)))))) for you!!!

I am probably way more skilled than you are at self-induced guilt trips!! I can find ways to blame myself for almost anything.

You need to stay positive for Sadie. She needs you right now and that is what you need to concentrate on. Try to remember that what is done is done, you can't go back and change anything. Make this a positive by learning from it. Then the next time a horse gets hurt, yes they do manage in spite of our best efforts, at least it will be on something different!

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:37 AM   #4
Pasture Pet

I am sorry that this has haappened, prayers coming form Georgia in hope that all goes well with this injury. Sending healiing vibes and thoughts for Sadie.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
Pasture Pet

Prayers from here.. those are such nasty cuts to deal with..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:45 AM   #6
Greenbroke Member

Don't blame yourself. Like you said, horses can get hurt in padded rooms. You have been through this before, so you know what to do. Just do what needs done and when it is all healed up, than you can take time to blame fate, but not yourself. Just fix the fence. That is all you can do about it now. I am sure she will be fine. And she won't mind the extra lovin from mom.

BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Bombproof Member

Sending healing thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
Pasture Pet

They make us feel so guilty when they cut themselves.
Stay positive, she will be fine.,
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:48 AM   #9
Greenbroke Member

Prayers for her and you. Let us know how the trip to the vet goes.
short_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
Seasoned

(((HUGS))) and healing thoughts from Michigan!!! Hope your girl is better soon!!

prancingpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
Yearling Member

arrrrgghhhh!just got home from first job to hose her down and change the bandage...she has shredded it!! she was mad at me about it this morning and I specifically told her to leave it alone and she pulled all but a ring of the vet wrap off...I have to wrap it and leave for my other job and won't be home til after 10...anyone have suggestions on how to keep her wrapped? can't tie her as theres not always someone home, she is in a 12 by 12 (which that could be the main prob...she's confined and bored...I put some of chops toys in and a milk jug...)...it looked good this morn...will add more later tonight along with pics..do they have those funnel things for horses like they do for dogs? (omg she would hate me for life)

"Saving a horse may not change the world, but it will change the world for one horse." Melanie Bowles, founder of Proud Spirit Horse Sanctuary
Old 08-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
Weanling Member

If you can find it in your area.. use a product called Wraplast.. It is a very strong pepper spray product that deters them from ripping up bandages, blankets, etc...I used to use it on my gelding.. It was the only thng that worked for me.. He tore un eberything he could...

If you cannot find that , try going to like a Petsmart or Petco if you have one and get some BitterApple for dogs.. That would work as well to stop her from ripping the bandage up..

Also be sure that you are not wrapping it to tight,, she might have pulled it off because it was Tight...(I am sure you are not, just thought I would throw this out there though)

Life with out a horse, is not having a life..
I need a hobby..Anyone got any ideas...
Raaslita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #13
Yearling Member

Sending Prayers and good vibes your way. Best of luck with your Sadie girl.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #14
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaslita View Post
If you can find it in your area.. use a product called Wraplast.. It is a very strong pepper spray product that deters them from ripping up bandages, blankets, etc...I used to use it on my gelding.. It was the only thng that worked for me.. He tore un eberything he could...

If you cannot find that , try going to like a Petsmart or Petco if you have one and get some BitterApple for dogs.. That would work as well to stop her from ripping the bandage up..

Also be sure that you are not wrapping it to tight,, she might have pulled it off because it was Tight...(I am sure you are not, just thought I would throw this out there though)
Thanks for the info...she had attempted to pull the wrap off I put on before I left for the evening...its still covering the wound so I left it...I was able to put a finger in under the vet wrap so I know that wasn't too tight...am gonna call the vet in the morning to see if she has any of the stuff you suggested...I think her pulling it off is her not liking being confined and something on her leg.

Thanks all for the hugs and prayers...we didn't need this financially right now...can't sell her, so Classy will have to go.

The vet said that probably by Wednesday or Thursday is when I will see swelling and such. If it does, then I am to call her and she will be right out.

I was going to post pics, but I'll do it in the morn...am tired as I didn't sleep well last night...

(MORNING) Just called the vet and they have Bitter Lime...so am on my way in...no sense in wrapping if she is going to tear it off...

Last edited by roguemare; 08-26-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
Weanling Member

I hope the bitter lime works for you...Sending you hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery and a sane mind (for you)...

These things can happen at the worst times...I know the feeling..

Old 08-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
Yearling Member

It actually looks really good...these pics are from yesterday (the day after)..and it still looks like this but more pink tissue...no swelling...no drainage...I'm very pleased so far...I'll take pics again this weekend...will be working both jobs starting tomorrow so won't have time...

and this was what I found this morning...

(yes the feet are dreadful...only a week overdue for trim...have to wait for check on Tuesday...)

Just looked out window...and that stuff is working...I watched her take a nip at it earlier and she quick let go...and a while later went down for it again and just smelled and went on to something else in her pen. She has had it on now for 3 hours...woohooo! Thank you Raaslita...(this will save me some money in med supplies )

Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #17
Weanling Member

Glad to hear that it is working....MY old gelding used to destroy things all the time.. whether it was a blanket or wraps.. And then he tore his tendon and had to be wrapped... I was changing the wraps daily and I was lucky if they lasted that long...

That was until I found the wrap last...The stuff is really strong... I tried the Bitter stuff on him, didnt work.. The wrap last is so strong that you should wear gloves and a mask when you spray it.. cause if you inhale it you will be coughing for hours...

Let me know if you need any other advise.. I have much experience when it comes to wraps and products to use...

Old 08-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #18
Started

A good idea that my vet gave me is to use knee high stockings. I just put the medicine on her hell bulb wound, place the knee high stocking on. Put duct tape on the botton of her hoof(over the knee high stocking and up over her hoof 1/3 of the way) and then secured the top with vet wrap. It kept the bugs away, helped hold the medicine to her wound and when removed helped debride the area. I usually only had to change it once a day. If her hoof is ver jagged I would add a piece of duct tape over the hoof before applying the knee high. I went to the dollar store and got 2 pair(4) for a dollar.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #19
Yearling Member

Its still on..but she pulled it up...so I may try the stocking idea and still spray it...only thing is..before I left for work this evening...I had to spray a second coat of the bitter lime on it as she had begun to grab at it...thanks for the ideas...I'm up to trying different things to see what works cuz who knows how long we will be doing this...

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition