Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Kid Safe

Horse off her feed?

Ok you all know I got that new arabian mare.She was thin but not to bad.The first week I had her she would eat but I noticed just kind of picked This week she don't want to eat anything and I think she's losing more weight.I got her oats like they said they were feeding her I tried the sweet feed still no real interest.I have only seen her pick at the hay.So I called the previous owner and spoke w/his daughter this mare just had her teeth done has all her shots,coggins ect.She is in heat and is very worried about what my gelding is doing and when ever she sees him she squats and it just pours out of her like she is peeing..So anyone have any suggestions? what should I do?? I talked to the vet that did all this work on her to confirm..so should I take her to another vet? or just give her some time to adjust? her coat is real dull almost looks burnt..IDK what to do for her..
Old 02-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Yearling Member

There is a reason why she is off her feed. Try a pellet feed and wet it, I would give her a mineral Vit. supplement. The heat cycle should not cause her to not eat. When was she wormed last? I would call a Vet. is she is not eating in a few days you don't want her pulled down any further.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Started

Has a total panel been done on her? Check her thyroid among other things...and of course like Tango said, get her checked for worms....

One other thing, does she take rapid breaths? or lay down a lot? Have you taken her temperature?

SACREDWINDWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Bombproof Member

Has she been checked for blood worms specifically. Also wondering if possible maybe signs of an ulcer. Is she on any probiotic? Might would try giving her a tube, see maybe if with the heat cycle it doesn't calm and regulate her tummy. I would try a wet mash of bran and alfalfa to see if she would eat a little.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Bombproof Member

I'm a great fan of Senior's pellets as they are good for horses of all ages. Very safe to feed and digest well. Moistening it makes it easier to eat. Extra oil in Senior's is a benefit. She is also undergoing the stress of the move. I hope this hasn't caused her ulcers. Is she drinking well? Salt, mineral lick available? I wouldn't worry about feeding oats at this time. You can start her safely on two lbs of Senior's twice daily then slowly increase altho with this amount you should see a difference in about 3 weeks. Let's hope there's nothing else going on. I think you should get a different vet to check her over as her previous vet may have a loyalty to the previous owner. He may be withholding information that he's not obligated to give you.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Started

Send a message via MSN to DustyTrailsHorseRescue
One of our mares quits eating grain when she goes in heat. It doesn't matter what we give her. They only thing she will take are apple treats and nibble on her hay. See if she goes back to normal when her cycle is over.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #7
Pasture Pet

You can also give her Vitamin B, it is both an appetite stimulant and a calming agent. If you can get her to eat a little! My horse loves it.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACREDWINDWALKER View Post
Has a total panel been done on her? Check her thyroid among other things...and of course like Tango said, get her checked for worms....

One other thing, does she take rapid breaths? or lay down a lot? Have you taken her temperature?
Her temp is normal.no rapid breathing and I've only seen her lay down once.she is alert and acting normal.Normal poo she is just so worried about where the gelding is when I bring them in to eat.I am gonna try feeding them next to each other and see if that helps.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
Kid Safe

"SHE ATE ALL HER FEED" this morning I fed her next to dodger and she ate all her food! I am gonna make her a vet appointment anyway to make sure everything is ok w/her..

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition