Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
Long Yearling

Salt Block or Mineral Block

Hey everyone!! I searched past topics before asking this, found some threads on blocks but none answered my specific question. So sorry if this has already been asked and I just missed it....... But........ Which is better to buy. Would you buy both?? Or is one better than the other going into winter?? I want to get my horse one, but not sure which to buy. Thanks guys!!!!

Luv2Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
Long Yearling

I've always bought salt blocks, but I recently got a mineral block, and my horses, especially the weanling, have about licked it away. I'm thinking I'll get the mineral block again next time just because they used it more.
Luv2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
Pasture Pet

I like to feed out the loose bagged minerals..they have salt in them.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Greenbroke Member

I feed the bagged loose mineral as well.....free choice, but I also have a salt block out there for them as well. I tried the mineral blocks but the horses just like the molasses in them too much!! Instead of licking the mineral block they literally chewed off chunks of it. One 20kg block for 4 adult horses was only lasting them about 2 weeks. So no more mineral blocks here. Only free choice mineral.

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Kid Safe

I would guess you are talking about the white salt blocks vs. the red/brown salt and mineral blocks. I like the white blocks best because if the horse needs the minerals, it will get too much salt along with them.

The mineral crumbles are better as a mineral suplement if needed - if you feed a bagged feed, there are probably already mineral suplements in there. The buckets and blocks with the molases and stuff are basically horse candy, and some horses will simply devour them, while others will completly ignore them.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:18 AM   #6
Greenbroke Member

We were always told in school that they get all the minerals that they need if you feed a good quality namebrand horse feed. They also told us that the loose stuff was easier for the horse to consume. I just find it hard to maintain a loose salt feeder.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:59 AM   #7
Started

we hang individual blocks in the stalls, dark mineral blocks for the winter and regular white salt blocks in the summer, i find if they're lacking the use it, if not, they leave it alone
barnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:03 AM   #8
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I keep a 40lb block of each in every pasture. If I have a horse that is stalled or kept seperate they usually have one of each in their stall.

When I go camping or to a show I always have one available to the horse also.

Some of my horses prefer the plain salt, some prefer the trace mineral block. I don't feed the protein/mineral blocks because mine will sit and eat them until they are gone just to get the molasses or flavorings they put in them.

In the winter when the horses don't have pasture to roam they all get a small amount of grain also which has all the minerals in it also.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:08 AM   #9
Kid Safe

blocks

I feed a well-balanced ration of grain, so I don't have too much trouble with mineral blocks. However, I always keep a TM in the pastures in case. This past summer, I noticed that though the horses sweat like crazy, the mineral blocks were not being touched. So, I added a white salt block. Those went like crazy all summer. Now, I will be keeping both in the pastures year round!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:49 AM   #10
Kid Safe

I also feed the mineral block in the corral but I have had it suggested to me on more than one occation to simply feed them 1/2 teaspoon daily of table salt with their feed. Especially in the hotter months, that way you know for sure they are getting their share so they don't dehydrate. Plus, I was told, that if there are alot of horses, it is more cost effecient (sp?).

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:54 AM   #11
Long Yearling

I keep both available.
reba4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #12
Pasture Pet

We do too, reba4.. the minerals and the salt are both very important in the summer heat and humidity here!

Thanks for the post - I think I need to buy some new ones next week, and now you have reminded me

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:39 AM   #13
TDH
Seasoned

I always have a white salt block available for them, and instead of a mineral block, I get a 200 lb. mineral tub from Bomgaars. It's got all the right stuff, along with some molasses, but it's VERY compactly pressed so they can't take bites out of it. They have to lick it although I'll see a few tooth marks in it, on occasion. A tub of that lasts our 3 horses 6-8 weeks. And the big green tub comes in handy for other things once the mineral is gone!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #14

I keep them both available for the horses.
tuffsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:44 AM   #15
Kid Safe

I use the 50# red/brown TM blocks. The one we have in with the 2 horses and 2 goats is going on 5 weeks, we'll have to replace it soon as there isn't too much left.

They are also on grain 2x a day.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reba4
I keep both available.
Me too, usually...which reminds me that I need a new mineral block!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #17
Started

my horses rarely use either one of them so i guess if they lack something they eat them, and my horses drink plenty, you also have to not give them too much, ecspecially if they take bites out of it!
barnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #18
Kid Safe

I use a mineral block. I haven't identified the pattern yet, but they use it a lot certain times of the year and not at all at other times. I assume it has to do with seasonal changes in pasture nutrition.
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #19
Yearling Member

I on the other hand only have the salt block out there now. No reason really, just happened to grab it at the feed store, next time it could be mineral....
skipsnightlady81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #20
Yearling Member

Our horses get a selenium/mineral block (actually 3 of them) out in the pasture plus they get minerals in their grain.

Has always worked well for us.

RIDE LIKE A PILOT NOT A PASSENGER
Quarters N Paints is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition