Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #21
Yearling Member

We were feeding them a 12% sweet feed. They are not worked daily due to lack of time!!! I try to work with them as much as I can during the week. So that would make sense that they were getting all that feed but not enough work to work it out of them so when I did get on him he was like hey lets ride!!!!!!!!! He was really starting to frustrate me cause I could not ride him with out him bucking!!!! I hope this helps out!!! We will see!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 AM   #22
Bombproof Member

You can try a 10% feed since you are not riding that often.
If you have 15 min., or so to spare in the day if you cant ride, lunge him to work some of that energy off.
You can also lunge him before riding to work it off before you get on.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #23
Yearling Member

I will deffintely have to try this. Thanks for all the info everyone!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #24
Long Yearling

Heavens if it wasnt for lunging my boy would be getting NO reall work. By the time my day ends everyone is at the barn and there is no room in the ring to ride/work and cross ties are filled with racehorses being wrapped up for the night
RhettsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:59 PM   #25
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linebacker55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Sweet feed will not make all horses HYPER, just as extra sugar will not make all kids hyper.

But, if a horse has borderline thyroid activity or maybe slightly insulin resistant, it can really affect them.

Modern research has shown that high carb foods and foods that are high on glycemic index can be hard jon many horses that are in this category and can actually make them more prone to founder.

Horses break down protien into fatty acids in the front gut and absorb them in the hind gut. Their digestive tract is sensitive and there is not a dang thing we can do about that except try to make it easier on them.

The modern feeding programs developed by vets and equine nutritionists lean towards a high fat/low carb diet of variying protien contents dependent upon the age and activity of the horse or foal.

Many feed companies are now offering non-grain based feeds that are lower in carbs. The utilize beet pulp and rice brans to have high fat/low carb feed that is highly palatble for the horse and better for his overall health.

Studies also show that this diet is very good for the hard working horses that have troubles with psm (tying up) and horses that have hypp attacks.

For our horses that have a light or medium work load or pregnant, the 12-8 works great as they hold weight very well and stay slick and shiny with it. Gowing horses and late trimester mares need a little more protein as they are developing musclar and skeletal systems.

In my opinion, the high fat low carb diet is about the most overall healthiest diet for horses and reduces the risk of founder and other problems. Just because our grandfathers and fathers fed sweetfeed and corn is no reason for us not to consider, at least give it a fair chance, a newer diet more suited for todays horses.
Can not say it any better then that!!! We feed all of our horses Nutrena feeds, prefer Safe Choice, some that are boarded get a lesser quality feed but are supplemented with Empower, high in fat. Works great for our Broodmares, growing horses and our Show horses, both Halter and Pleasure horses!
I couldn't agree more. I used to feed sweet feed - switched to Nutrena feeds and have never looked back.

The other thing that I don't like about sweet feeds has to do with their teeth - horses fed sweet feed their entire lives seem to have a lot more dental decay because of the high molasses/sugar content. It doesn't seem like an issue at 10 years old but believe me, by 25 or so it is.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition