Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Weanling Member

Is this Hay bad?

I went and got 16 bales of fescue on Friday. I noticed about 4 of the bales where much heavier than the others and they looked alot fresher so I did'nt think much of it. Well Saturday morning I went to cut open one of the heavier greener-looking bales and it was moist on the inside and hot to the touch! It was even steaming! So I took those 4 bales and cut all of them open so they could at least air out and not catch fire. They all looked so fresh, but the whole hot steaming damp hay thing is unsettling. Should I just toss those 4 bales? I dont think the guy let them cure properly, or maybe they got wet?? They didn't have any visible mold, but they ALL where hot to the touch when you cut them open and damp so Im at a loss... any suggestions or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
rodeobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
A J
Greenbroke Member

Chances are they were baled a little damp - not sure what the weather is like there, but here it is nearly impossible for hay to dry properly - however, that is also how barn fires started by hay are caused. Unless the hay smells like mold, you should be fine, I'd just give them some time to cool off and dry out, and give it a good go-though before you feed it.

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Weanling Member

Thanks AJ! I was worried that I would have to toss all of the hay and thats not cool!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
Kid Safe

Yeah, we've gotten coastal like that when they start sending the really green fresh stuff.
Most times, they are baled right after cutting and not dried properly before baling.

Not sure if I'd feed it, but I'd probably open them up to cool and dry out, and go from there.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Weanling Member

AJ
Quote:
but here it is nearly impossible for hay to dry properly
I'm only 1 1/2 hours north of you and we have the same problem up here. In fact many of the older horses up here have varying decrease of heaves due to this. It is found that many of the farmers don't know how to bale hay for horses because they bale it too early.

I've had bales of hay that were too green and got warm also. Those I either feed right away or just open up to cool and dry but it's very important to catch them before there's a fire!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Kid Safe

Personally, I would be a little cautious. The heat is caused by fermentation which, if it goes far enough, can result in some pretty sour stuff.

I wouldn't necessarily throw it away if it's not too far gone, but in addition to breaking it apart to stop the fermentation, I would mix it with good dry hay so they wouldn't just be getting the wet stuff.

It's hard to "make hay when the sun shines" if the sun doesn't shine...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Red
Halter broke

Hay Bales

I agree about being cautious. Even thouogh you can't see the mould if its hot like that it is probably there. I don't feed anything like that . I load it back in the truck and sell it to the old farmer down the road for a buck a bale and he feeds it to his goats.

After buying a horse years ago that was soooo heavey and learning so much about heaves and how they are caused I am very cautious about what I feed. Horses are very sensitive to mould.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Yearling Member

Just an FYI, if you find hay that's wet/damp, toss salt on it...it will absorb the moisture and help prevent hay from molding/getting hot...

Just when you feed it, make sure that there is plenty of water available to the horses if you use alot of salt...

If your looking for something dead broke, don\'t look at my horses but look at me!

http://www.geocities.com/shyfilly78/wwpq.html
shyfilly78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
Weanling Member

Thanks you guys!
I have never heard of the salt trick but I think I will give it a try. I hate this time a year hay-wise. You either get last cutting from last year or first cutting from this year thats damp and hot. Ugh! We have used this little face alot on this topic so I will do the same! LoL

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition