Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #21
Started

I don't think you sounded rude at all CA.

Good luck and have fun at the horse show!

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #22
Yearling Member

I got no rudeness form you

You seem very nice and open minded

RIP: Neverskiphercolor
treasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #23
Long Yearling

Nope no rudeness. Have you tried a little calm and cool to see if that has any effect? Like all tranqs it does take awhile to take effect.
sheri7785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #24
Started

oveywon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #25
Started

oveywon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #26
Yearling Member

I think you should do what you want it's your horse. I don't think I myself would go with ace, but if you talk to your vet he can give you something to sedate him. I would peref to use one get it done and no fighting with them. Thats why they have sedation for horses, to use it. It's not mean or cruel. Scareing the out of them is worse, if you ask me.
whiteplainsranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #27
Weanling Member

I have seen Ace used to excess on one particular horse in my barn. (charlie- I don't at all think that's what you were intending to do).

A woman bought a very spooky TB for her dead beginner daughter (we're talking two lessons- max). So now, instead of frightening her out of riding after making the mistake of buying this horse, the owner gives a small (she says small) oral dose of Ace every time she brings her out to ride. The horse is so sleepy and out of it that it's pretty much worthless to ride her.

I would think that consistent use of a sedative on a horse could have really bad effects, right? I feel so bad for this horse- all she needs is a firm hand. It makes me angry that the old owner even sold this horse to this girl.

I will admit- that I did Ace Jim once. ONLY ONCE. And I will never, ever do it again. Unless he needed it for some specific reason (medical or otherwise), and I would then use the assistance of a vet or very experienced horse person to administer it. If it were a medical situation, I would rather Jim be sedated than have him be terrified and hurt himself.
JoAnn1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #28
Greenbroke Member

Acepromazine is not controlled and it is used often in dogs and cats. Ace "takes the edge off". It will not "lay a horse down" in its normal dosing. It does nothing for pain. If it is used with other meds like torbugesic it will have more of anesthetic affect. I often use it for trimming and shoeing of my young stock. It does not take the place a training, but it will allow the horses to use their training and think about it. I don't have to use it more that 2-3 times. I will just make the horse see the trimmings as a pleasant experience and not something to be afraid of. It is often (not legally) used to controll barrel horses and WP horses. I bet all of you have seen a horse on it and you couldn't tell. Using it orally really does not work well. Someone said 8 cc orally? That dose IM may do bad things to horse.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #29
Weanling Member

sheri7785, this calm and cool stuff what is it exactly could you give anymore info on it??

oveywon,
Quote:
Sorry Charlie. I didn't mean to go off about ACE again.
It's all right , I actually didn't really notice until you mentioned it lol.

Thanks everyone, lol, again. Sometimes I get a little, shall I say paranoid about the whole rudness thing. I just don't like to start anything, you know? I can never really tell, either some people may think I'm rude others may not and so I just want to say thanks for the reassurance(sp?). This is exactly why I LOVE this forum, all the people here are just so wonderful, like family, ups and downs plus all the opinions/facts/info a person could ever want .

As an update, I ended up not clipping Charlie because I decided against the Ace and he wasn't to fond of the clippers . So I brought my "hairy" boy to the show, sadly didn't place, but for his second show WITH riding involved, he was really good. We had some pictures, but they didn't turn out because all of them were of him moving and ended up being blurry or his head was missing . I do have some of him before we got there though(the morning of) but I have to wait to get them, they were done with one of those cheapy cameras that you throw away. Anyways, thanks for letting me blab and create such a long post.

-Alicia

Love you so much, you will be dearly missed my "LITTLE MAN"
Charlies'_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:45 AM   #30
Long Yearling

Calm and Cool is a powder you can feed to a horse. I have used that in the past on a few horses and got decent results. It takes some time to work but does take the edge off. You can get it out of catalogs with horse supplements in them and some feed stores also carry it.
sheri7785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #31
Red
Halter broke

Calming Stuff

Hey

I am in Canada too and I like Quietex for those scary things. Its safe to use. Wendell herbs also makes one too called Calm and something and I know that works really well and no danger to your horse.

I think that although Ace has its place ........these products allow your horse to still be coherant but give them that extra relaxation to help them
get through whatever you are doing.

Quietex is given an hour before , its very yummy and it lasts for 4-6 hours. But will have no ill affect (that I have experienced) I have used it to trailer nervous horses, and for the farrier once.

Good luck . Clipping seems to be one of those things that can bring us to our wits end.

For our ears we use a beard trimmer, like 10.00 at any Walmart. Cordless almost silent and small enough to maneuvar around in the ear.
It has made a big difference. Our horses (even the ones who were terrified of clippers) are much better with the beard/mustache trimmer.

Most are the size of a Jiffy marker. Again . Good luck.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition