Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Kid Safe

Apple Cider Vinegar

Well, I'm doing some research on fly remedies, darn things, and just wondered....is the apple cider vinegar good for the inside of a horse?

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Greenbroke Member

yes, it helps to prevent summer itch, they say and it gives off a different smell when fed that prevents flies.

There is no such thing as a always or never in the horse world. Say that one time and some horse some where will prove you wrong!.
eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #3
Weanling Member

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the fact it helps reduce flies. But that's me. I was schooling a weanling for someone last year at a barn in which all the horses recieved apple cider vinegar. I did not notice a real reduction in the fly population. They were everywhere, and the barn was well kept (manure speaking). That was the only barn I have ever been in where vinegar was being used for that purpose...I wasn't impressed
Old 05-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
Long Yearling

what feeding Apple Cider Vinegar actually does is changes the way the horse "smells" to the flies etc. Therefore making them less "tasty" It does not change anything that would reduce the fly population at a barn.

We used Apple Cider Vinegar on the horses at the base stable in NC and it did make a difference on the amount of biting flies we had to deal with out on the trails.
RhettsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Pasture Pet

I wasn't impressed with it either.
The only actual clincally proven thing that it will do is to change the acidity in the horse and help to somewhat prevent the formation of enteroliths.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
Pasture Pet

I never heard of it - I have heard that if you hang up ziplock bags full of water, the flies will think they are wasp nests and stay away - anyone tried this??? I may give it a try as the darn buzzing pests are pretty bad this year!!!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
Greenbroke Member

I have seen the ziplock bag thing done, and I have to admit there where no flies...but I haven't seen it done in a barn, it was in little country stores. Of course they were in close proximity to horse properties, so maybe it really did help.
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 AM   #8
Pasture Pet

We thought it was crazy - but several of the old time farmers here have told us the same thing, soooo tonight I will be filling up bags and hanging them in the barn. I will let you guys know if it works!!!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition