Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
Yearling Member

Udders cleaned

I was sitting under storm the other day in the pasture while she was grazing(i know an extrmly bad idea, can we say death of angie?)Anyway i reached up to pet her stomach and i saw that her tits were really dry and flaky, I've never owned i mare before so i don't know if i need to do anything to them, but they are dry flaky and have weird bumbs on them. Do i clean them or do anything maintance work on them? Thanks a bunch
Old 01-31-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Bombproof Member

You can take warm water and clean them and there is udder cream they use on cows, you can put on her.
And stop sitting under her.
We need you to be around for a long time.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
Weanling Member

You can lather up her udder and teats with sheath cleaner for stallions or geldings, and then work any wax gently off and then rinse with warm water. Sometimes a waxy buildup gets between the teats and causes the horse to rub the top of its tail head on something. Don't ask me why, but rubbing their tail is just their reaction to that itchy, yucky feeling of having all of that wax in there.
Smart Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
HMM, some mares really appreciate it, some don't. Mine love to have them cleaned especially as they get closer to foaling. I have a mare who will even start to lift her leg like a dog? I know I have really wierd horses. I just use regular shampoo or Ivory dishsoap and rinse really well.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Yearling Member

lol, snickers I know i shouldn't sit under her it is very dangerous, i should be sitting on top of her. But right now i don't know what one is more dangerous, on her or under her. Would the tack stores carry this stuff? Could i just use a brush to brush it off once and a while like between serious cleaning or should i do this cream everyday?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
Bombproof Member

FYI you can get udder balm at WalMart! Or Corona ointment works too if they're really dry and flaky but I wouldn't use it between them.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #7
Weanling Member

The easiest way to clean them is baby wipes (non alergenic non scented)
They are disposable so you're always using clean material. I havent had to put cream on my horse, I just clean them every once and awhile (maybe I should do it more)
But seriously Baby wipes are AWSOME!
Alberta Lolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
Greenbroke Member

I just use warm water and antibacterial handsoap. Of course, that's also what I use to clean my gelding/stallion's sheaths. I clean my mare's every few months, just like a sheath cleaning.
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
Coming two

I use baby wipes for cleaning them in the winter, and in the summer I just clean them up when I give them their baths. Dirty udders are like dirty sheaths; it varies from horse to horse. Some are dirtier then others.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #10
Bombproof Member

Hey, Beth, you aren't the only one with weird horses - I have a gelding who does the back leg lift too. He looks just like a dog about to pee on a tree!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
Kid Safe

I usually just rub the grungies off a mare's udder with my fingers when I brush them, unless I find them to be very crusty (then I use a wet wipe or washcloth, and a sheath cleaner or baby oil if they're really bad). The old mare my son moslty rides loves it - she moves her leg back, lowers her head with her eyes closed and quivvers her lip.

If your mare's udder is dry and flakey, check her under-the-tail areas, too, they are most likely in similar condition. Unscented human hand lotion, vaseline, mineral oil or one of the skin lotions for horses will keep it soft and comfy.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #12
Bombproof Member

Yeah, I have a gelding that goes into convulsions when you scratch under there. He's my husbands Mustang. Quite a charecter, I'm not sure how he managed to live for almost 3 years out in the wild without his human servants.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
Yearling Member

Mr T, my prego mare does that too.

I found this out when I started washing her down one day. I used just mane and tail and water. It doesn't seem to matter what you use, just that you do it, similar to sheath cleaning...give me a mare any day.

You would think she was eating chocolate she loves it sooo much. In fact if I don't give her a good rubbing, she nudges me to stay don't stop.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #14
Pasture Pet

You can use plain old KY for all the cleaning on your mares and geldings/stallions.
Cheaper than Sheath cleaner and pH balanced for the internal areas
Old 02-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
Yearling Member

I am a big fan of baby oil or Excaliber followed by baby oil for mares, geldings and studs. My old TB/WB X loved it, my APHA mare is not amused by it. My Stud, knows that there is no escape and generally enjoys it. The Sicko

My vet said that you have to be careful with some soaps because, like TMOM said, pH balance and some soaps contain emmolients (sp?) that will really suck the natural oils out of the skin which makes them even itchier. Not sure if that's true, but it made sense to me so I avoid dish washing soap which she said can be really drying.

Like the KY idea! Only down side is, I can see me going to the local pharmesist to buy enough for all my horses Haha. What would he think?!?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #16
Bombproof Member

They sell pretty big Target brand tubes of KY.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Old 02-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #17
ron
Started

Well the KY does work on both

smegma and bagma
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #18
Bombproof Member

Bagma?

Haven't heard it called that before but it sounds pretty accurate.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #19
ron
Started

that is the technical term...LOL

Toveromom came up with that since it is accumulation of dirt, oils, grunge, etc in the nether regions in between udders.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition