Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
Long Yearling

Mare Dribbling Urine...???

I have had my new mare for almost three weeks now. I have noticed that she seems to dribble urine while passing gas. Can anyone give me any insight as to why this might be happening? It almost seems as if some is pooled up right before the opening of her vagina and it is being expelled as she passes gas. Thanks!
horses-n-greyhoundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
Bombproof Member

Has she foaled before? Her muscles may be lax from giving birth, which could cause her to dribble urine.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
Long Yearling

Yes, Orchid. I believe she has had three foals. Is is anything to worry about? Also, she was bred again six weeks ago.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Kid Safe

If she shows any signs of vaginal irritation, or her urine (either the dribbled urine or her regular urine) is odly collored, or if she shows signs of discomfort or dificulty passing urine, she may have a vaginal/bladder infection, which is one of the risks of breeding.

She may have had an infection of that type before, which weakened the muscles that hold back the urine.

Her bladder muscles could have been weakened by foaling, from a breeding accident (stallions aren't know for thier restraint in breeding) or other injury to the area. She may have been born that way, or suffered a period of malnutrition.

She may even be letting it go on purpose, or because she doesn't know not to.

It's only something to worry about if it is an infection,or if it is causeing her problems. Otherwise, it's just one of those things.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
Bombproof Member

I was going to come back and mention that about a possible bladder infection, but taelesean has it all covered!

You da man!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Old 07-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
Pasture Pet

It could be just a bladder infection,a minor fix
She may have a situation where she may require a Caslick procedure to suture the internal area of her reproductive tract. The reason I suspect this is you mentioned it happens when she passes gas. The muscles there are relaxed at that point and it allows debris to be sucked into the area-and urine to dribble too
Have your Vet take a look when he somes out for your appointment
A Caslick is not a big deal-some mares just need them
Discuss it with your Vet
I would ask the previous owner too-he should know if she has any special needs
Old 07-06-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
Pasture Pet

Orchid we always seem to post at the same time
Old 07-07-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Bombproof Member

Ahh, great minds think alike.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #9
Long Yearling

I am now starting to wonder due to another post of mine if she is in estrus...

Along with this, she is squatting, blinking. I 'm sorry to see this for she was bred by her previous owner right before I bought her. I'm assuming that if she in estrus, she did not take...
Old 07-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #10
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
You cannot tell if a horse is not pregnant by just her cycles. My mare comes in even if she is in foal, right on time, every month. Your best bet is to have her checked by a vet, even for infections and things.

Brittany
Old 07-09-2005, 01:47 AM   #11
Long Yearling

Send a message via MSN to mellowdane
You havent mentioned her doing this at any other time, but if you do notice that and find out she isnt in heat.. you may want to check her back. A friends mare had some lameness/back problems and one of the symptoms she would have was dribbling urine. They think it is a pinched nerve sort of thing that can cause slight muscle disfunction at times. If she had a live cover breeding then she may have gotten a bit jarred around and put her back out a little bit or something. I know Queenie just got chiropracted and it worked itself out. Nothing like running a barrel pattern and peeing at the same time.. yikes

Also I had a mare with a tipped uterus (which I guess isnt totally uncommon) and so I had to watch that she didnt get any infections because of the way the vulva sort of tipped inward at the top it sometimes would collect urine or feces. It never was really a problem, but if she got on fresh grass and got a little loose I would just watch her. Hope she is just in heat and all this discussion is for naught
mellowdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #12
Long Yearling

Oh yeah.....she's in heat...hot and heavy. The vet came out yesterday and did a palpation. He felt confident that she is NOT pregnant. Oh well...that's actually fine with me. It was just an added bonus that her previous owner bred her before I got her. I'll breed her next spring. Now, I just want to make her the horse I know she has the capability to be. She has just been such a good girl!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition