Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Newborn Member

Requesting info on hind leg issues

Hello,

To begin with I'm going to state up front that this is NOT my horse. So I will present the information as "what I saw" & "what I was told". What I'm looking for is any ideas of what this "MIGHT" be? I'm looking for information so I can research & talk to a vet & know the right questions to ask.

I went to look at a gaited horse (Rocky Mountain Horse). Beautiful horse. Curious & met us at the gate when we arrived. We had the opportunity to observe the horse unhampered by humans. Right away I noticed (so did my husband) some odd movement in the hind legs. The right hind foot drug a bit as the horse walked. (This was VERY subtle however it was noticeable enough that my husband noticed it). If I were making a guess I thought it looked like the right hip & the left hock. The left seemed only a tiny bit stiff, which could be from taking care of her left side?? But it didn't happen every step. She might walk around & this oddity happened every 4-8 steps.

The people came out. This horse had been rescued from a slaughter situation. I asked if she'd had an injury. No, no, I was told, she's been sound in the few months we've had her. I inquired about the stiffness. I'm pretty decent & observing people. I don't think the owner was lying when stating they'd never noticed anything. The horse had been evaluated by a trainer. There were 2 other horses in the pasture with this one & they thought maybe the boss hoss had kicked the horse I was looking at. I was told that happens a lot. The one thing I noted when I first saw this odd movement is that I didn't find any bite or kick marks (it was quite muddy so it'd be unusual for there not to be a smear or mark on contact). It also doesn't mean a kick hadn't happened before the mud that made the horse stiff.

We stood talking for hours as we talked about horses. All the while I'm watching this horse. After about 20 minutes the odd movement stopped. I saw her go here & there. So maybe it was just something temporary. My thing is, I no longer have the 80+ acres where if I can have several. So I need to be careful when I buy my next horse. There's so much to like in this horse but I can't decide if this was just an ouchy & we caught her in that moment which made me suspicious or if there's really an issue that means I should pass without further research.

Thanks in advance for all opinions & information you can offer. I realize we're not vets & that you haven't had your hands on this horse so it's just opinion.

If anyone has any ideas
Peeperpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Long Yearling

maybe a stifle issue? If you really like the horse, have a pre purchase vet exam done.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
Yearling Member

Edit - just noticed how old the post was....

Last edited by Leli; 06-22-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Leli is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition