Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
Weanling Member

EMS pony and mini acting weird....

Not sure what's up with my horses. I have a 19 yr old pony, 15 yr old mini and 8 yr old Qh mare all together in a paddock with shelter, access to barn, and access to about a 20 acre pasture. I have struggled with pony and mini....chronic laminitis with both. Have had an awesome year with both of them but every winter I run into problems with one or both becoming sore. This winter I decided to let just them have access to the pasture....except that they have been out in pasture during this really cold snap( -40 with the windchill) and hardly come in to eat their hay and nap. I have to call them in each evening for their beet pulp and they come running but within a couple hours I see them headed back out to pasture. My other 4 (healthy) horses in the next paddock/pasture don't leave their hay piles except for water...

I would tend to think this is good for them, I mean all that digging in the snow is good exercise but it's so cold right now!! And I just recently lost my gelding that I've owned for 21 years and that lived with these horses their whole lives. and they've only started going out like this since he passed.
Any ideas or thoughts?
TMHmisty is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition