Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Newborn Member

Itchy horse

Hello all...

I read the sticky and I also read various other posts and read articles online about itchy horses.

My horse come spring/summer begins to itch. She rubs on anything with an edge. Come Aug/Sept she will have scabbed over pits on her cheeks and upper legs. She's miserable... if I put a fly sheet on her, she will wreck it with her itching.. I think I go through at least 2 fly masks a season because of her itching. Anytime I brush her, she is frozen in place because it must feel so good to get all those spots where she cant reach.

Last year, I fed oil in her grain thinking it might be dry skin. It didnt seem to help. I try my very hardest to keep her sprayed with fly spray. I wash her in a all natural shampoo targeted for itchy horses. She has no dandruff, no red areas and her coat is very bright and shiney and sleek. She is also not a sweaty horse.

Any advise would be much appreciated!
Lucky098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Seasoned

could be an allergy to something either in her field, in her feed, in your grooming supplies or even airbourn.
breburtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Weanling Member

My horse gets this too its no fun but very treatable. I would suggest giving her the highest dose of an anti histamine recommended. I really like anti-hist, it seems to work really well. If thats not strong enough, you get can prescribe stuff. During the really itchy times, my horse wears a flymask, fly sheet, and fly neck cover. Sometimes he wears mesh leggings too. Also, make sure it's not your fly spray that's bothering him. My horse is allergic to alcohol based products, so all natural fly spray is a must. Also, if possible, do not spray the fly spray directly onto your horse except on his belly and in his tail. Instead, soak your blankets and fly mask in fly spray on a weekly basis. I know this sounds weird, but put some of the fly spray on your face. It's itchy and irritating!
aceofspades1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Yearling Member

I have seen many people have very good results with antihistamine. In fact, some even give plain ole people Benadryl. You can buy the generic and give the horse about 10 tabs for a 1,100 lb horse. Once or twice per day. Also, Ani-Hist works great. If those things don't help, you may have to go to steroids. I'd definitely give the Benadryl a try first. It won't really cause any harm.

I have given Benadryl to a horse prior to vaccinations and it really helps keep the swelling down at the injection site. I love it because it is cheap and does not seem to have any side-effects.
jdougert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Started

There are natural alergy remedies too. My mare would cough constantly. Omega alpha makes a product called respi-free that completely got rid of the cough in 3 days. I think they make skin targeted versions as well.
Danni L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Newborn Member

Thank you all for the responces!

I'm trying the Benedryl twice a day at 250mg each dose. I think its too soon to tell if its working, but I sure hope it does.

Thank you all again! And sorry for such a late response.
Lucky098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Newborn Member

Send a message via Skype™ to holisticcowgirl
Sounds like an Allergy to me. More horse did not react well to Anti-Hist. She is very particular to fly sprays- the only one that does not make her break into hives is Ricochet- even other "natural" one's like Nature's Defense gets the same reaction. Also, my vet suggested Platinum's Skin and Allergy supplement. Good luck!
holisticcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition