Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Weanling Member

Help Me! Heavy Weight Blanket Question

I live in Colorado at high elevations and the winters can be brutal here. We get major temperature extremes... it can be 5 degrees overnight and then warm up to 45 degrees during the day. That is how it has been lately...typical Fall weather. However, in the middle of the winter it can be -30 below zero overnight and warm up to maybe 20 degrees during the day.
I just bought a Heavy Weight Blanket for one of my Arabs for this winter and I need some advice on when he should wear this. What temperature should it be outside for him to wear a Heavy Weight Blanket? The description for this blanket is: 1200 denier ripstop waterproof poly outer shell with 400 gram polyfill - breathable 210 denier lining.
I hope this info helps. I just don't want him to get too hot in it. Can anyone advise? If I were to guess... i would say put the Heavy Weight on him when it gets really cold, below zero but I just want to hear what others do with their Heavy Weight blankets. Thank you so much for any advice...

Last edited by Whitehorse; 11-08-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Whitehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Yearling Member

I guess the horse is kept in at night? This is what I do when I want to keep coats down for riding. I have a sheet, a mid weight blanket, and a very warm blanket. I put the sheets on in the mid 30s, the medium blanket in the 20s and the heavy weight blanket when it get below 5. You have to remember that horses and people get used to the cold. If your not doing a lot of riding in the winter, and your horse is healthy, I wouldn't rush to blanket him. Let him get used to the cold. I can remember training at Philadelphia Park one very cold winter. I don't think it got above 5 for a solid month. One day in Feb it got all the way up to 20. I was stripping layers of like mad, because it was so warm! Plus, are you going to be around to change blankets all the time? I would just use the heavy weight blanket for the coldest of times.
csimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
Long Yearling

Well, I'm with Csimmons if you are able to purchase all those blankets.

But if not, I don't think that 400 grams is that thick, so you could put it on him pretty much all the time, then watch him for sweating... It isn't ideal, (as blanketing should be done as Csimmons said) but if you can't afford to do it the other way, you could do it this way, or you can just put it on him at night, and take it off during the day, but I would save it for the nights when he looks like he's shivering if you aren't trying to avoid hair growth...
Old 11-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Halter broke

i have to agree with csimmons but there again if changing blankets is not convient then just use when it is below zero or close to.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
Weanling Member

Thank you all for your feedback on this. They do have a barn that they can come in and out of but I don't lock them up in the barn at night so it is possible they could be out in the weather. I don't blanket all my horses since I don't feel they all need one if they grow thick coats.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
We have similar temperatures here, not quite the big swing though.

My guy wears his lightweight/midweight blanket when the highs are going to be under 20 degrees.

He wears his heavyweight blanket if it's not going to get obver 10 degrees or theres a cold wind or lots of snow.

Both are wind/waterproof and breathable so if he does get a touch warm they will breath and he shouldn't get sweaty.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Halter broke

Send a message via AIM to jesterjigger
Take a look at Schneider's temperature guide for blanketing your horse http://www.sstack.com/content/txt/warmth.htm I tend to lean more toward the better haircoat chart, but I look at the hour by hour forecast, highs/lows, and wind/rain/snow before making a final decision on what I want my horse to wear.
jesterjigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Halter broke

Send a message via AIM to jesterjigger
Check out Schneider's blanket guide, I tend to stay somewhere in the middle of the normal and improving the hair coat recommendations. http://www.sstack.com/content/txt/warmth.htm
jesterjigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterjigger View Post
Take a look at Schneider's temperature guide for blanketing your horse http://www.sstack.com/content/txt/warmth.htm I tend to lean more toward the better haircoat chart, but I look at the hour by hour forecast, highs/lows, and wind/rain/snow before making a final decision on what I want my horse to wear.
Wow! Thank you for this! This helps me a lot. I always wondered why they don't print such charts on the blanket labels when you buy them. I think this would really help more people decide on which blanket would be best.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice