Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Newborn Member

climatizing a horse

Hi, I'm new to the forum and wondering if someone can advise me. I recently purchased a horse from California. He just arrived last night and I am concerned about climatizing him. He has a slight temp 38.75 and I am monitoring. Apparently, this is normal for shipping. It was a four day trip with the transporter I used. I have a bucas blanket on him now. I had him in a stall last night but out in the corral today. He has eaten some, urinated and passed stool but I have not seen him drink as yet. I am going to try and add some apple juice to his water to see if this will entice him to drink. Any advise on how to climatize or what I should do this winter would be appreciated. He has shelter during the day in the corral and I can stall him at night if necessary.
tobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Kid Safe

Hi and welcome from west,TN

you might want to put this topic under general horse Advice.

Sorry I can't help you but I am sure there will be some along who can!

Hope it all works out for ya and your new horse.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Pasture Pet

Hello and welcome to HT from New York.
No advice , I guess he will get used to his new surroundings soon. Good luck.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Newborn Member

climatizing a horse

Hi! I'm new to the forum and need some advise on climiatizing a horse. I recently had a horse brought up from California. Received him last night, the trip was four days with reputable transporter. He has a slight temp 38.75 which apparently is normal for the stress of this type of transport. I have a bucas blanket on him and kept him in a large stall last night. Today, he is in the corral with shelter from the wind. It was 100 in CA when he was loaded and went down to -5 last night here when he arrived. He has eaten some, urinated and had a bm but have not seen him drink as yet. I was thinking of mixing some apple juice in a bucket of water for him to induce drinking. Any suggestions on how to go about climatizing him. Someone has mentioned that they think I should keep him blanketed all winter and stalled at night as he has never been outside of CA. He is a 7 year old geling. I'm wondering if I keep him blanketed how does he get a chance to grow a winter coat?
tobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Pasture Pet

Hello and welcome from Central Georgia... Congrats on your new addition.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Kid Safe

It'll be a pain, but I'd blanket him at night or bring him in to stall at night with maybe a light sheet until I thought he had a good winter coat. He'll start growing one furiously now that he's moved up north - winter fuzzies are triggered by the lessening light of Fall. But, he has to get a little chilled, or he won't grow a full coat (and may not this year) Next year he will grow a normal winter coat just like all your other horses.

As for the drinking, yeah, he may not like the smell of the local water. Mix in some apple juice concentrate (the frozen stuff works great and is the cheapest) or some horse electrolytes to make it more interesting.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
A J
Greenbroke Member

A lot of this is going to depend on what he's used to and where he came from in California - not all of the state is warm and sunny Some parts actually get pretty cool in the winter - not Canada cold, but cold enough.

If he was from a more temperate area, then you will probably have to blanket him and stall him when the weather is less than good. Even up here (near San Francisco) the horses will get decent winter coats, we get into the 30's and 40's with lots of rain, so it's actually pretty chilly for them (wet and windy). Colder without the wet and many would do fine except in the most extreme cold.

If he was kept outside, chances are he's used to growing a decent coat unless he's from Southern California. The mountain areas actually get cold (think snow and winter), so if he's from those areas, he may not need any help.

I like to blanket in layers, that way you can add or remove layers as needed.

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
Kid Safe

It's still early in the season so I wouldn't be too worried about it but if you are then pick up a couple of blankets. We had a horse come in from Texas a few years back on Boxing Day and it was a cold Christmas. I did keep it on her pretty much all winter (but then again I'm a softy ) they were 12 hours in and 12 hours out. She fended just find.

In your case I would not blanket and keep her in at night.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
Pasture Pet

Local horses already have their winter coats..how much of a coat does your horse have?

Horses adapt differently so you have to watch carefully how your horse adapts. When I worked for a big show barn, we used to sell horses to Ontario and California and the change in climate could have disasterous effects on the horses and they could go bald, grow patchy coats, and other issues. Even a local horse used to being inside at night in the winter that is changed to being outside one winter may have trouble growing a proper coat.

I would blanket the horse this winter, and have a stall ready for the colder days/nights. If he develops a dull coat, a vitamin shot can also help give your horse a boost.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice