Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #21
Seasoned

Ultimately, I think it depends on the trailer and horse weight combined and the actual vehicle and how the hitch is set up. My 2H BP trailer weighs in at about 3000# with no horses. Load it with tack and feed, and put in a 1200# horse, and I would feel that I was too close the 5000# limit on your Envoy with a regular frame hitch (perhaps not such a problem with a weight leveling hitch). Trailer breaks are a must (we can't even own trailers that carry over 3000# in PA w/o electric breaks).

Does your Envoy have a towing package (transmission cooler, correct torque when towing, etc.)? How big is the engine? All of those are factors when making a decision on whether to use a vehicle to tow or not.

I had a GMC Jimmy 4x4 that I used to tow a horse trailer and hay trailer. Never again. The Jimmy was rated at something like 7000# and had a tow package, but we used it a couple times and said never again -- it felt like both trailers (when loaded) were pushing us all over the road.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #22
Weanling Member

Yes, definitely a truck frame, trailer brakes with brake controller in truck, factory-installed tow package, and staying under towing maximum. Find a REPUTABLE hitch installer place that can put in the brake controller, check wiring, etc. I would never do this stuff myself. Leave it to the professionals.

When I had another smaller SUV before I bought my 4runner, I was looking at the smallest, lightest 2-horse trailers for a tow vehicle with a limit of 5,000 lbs. towing capacity. They are out there, but tought to find. Brenderups are nice (some people hate them...I've never owned one), but very expensive. Do searches for 2,000 lb. trailers. I had a list... I'll see if I can find it.
AppendixLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #23
Halter broke

Well I'm sure there can be a lot of no no's involved BUT I have to say that I pull a trailer with my SUV and I have never had the first problem and I have been on the interstate, out of state, dirt roads, hi-ways, etc... you name it my SUV has pulled my horse and my trailer without a problem. *Thanks to the good lord watching out*
BeautifulMommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice