Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #21
Coming two

Yes every heavy rain my mare stands outside, butt pressed into the cypress trees, head low to the ground. The rain drips off her mane like it's a gutter for the body. She waits out the storm that way and doesn't move. A light rain won't stop her from normal grazing.
She seeks the puddles too, prefers to drink from the puddles. She only likes the shelter for a windbreak

I found out her history and she spent her first 2 years of life in the wild. I imagine she weathered some storms and lack of water in those wild horse days. She's 12 years now...old habits never die
Sunlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #22
Started

Zak and Socks will graze through just about anything....they have their raincoats on and if it really downpours, then they retreat to the shelter for a bit.

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot the tourists?
Horse_Orderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #23
Kid Safe

If I know its going to rain....I throw Tuckers Rainsheet on him...he likes to stay outside even though hes got a big barn to venture into
gingerfleguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 AM   #24
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToveroMom View Post
Nope that delicate flower of the south heads to the barn when it rains..when it is too hot..when the deerflies come out..whenever.
That is why I giggle when folks say how cruel it is to stall horses.
I have to chase that mare out to go graze and 10 minutes later she is back in.
I have a couple too that after being on green pasture for a few minutes are hanging their head over the stall door wondering when somebody is gonna come and open the door so they can get back in. When my daughter's mare feels 1 rain drop her butt is hightailing it to the barn.
jtfer1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #25
Halter broke

I have one-and-a-half run-in sheds (one only has 1 side a roof). Napoleon (the donkey) will stand in the corner by the sheds, but won't go in. Lili (the filly) will go in if it's raining hard or cold. Either that or run berserk around the pasture. The mare (Dixie) will sometimes go in if Lili does, but usually ignores it. She will NOT go in if it's thundering.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice