Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Newborn Member

Can't get horse in trailer

Ok..our 11 y/o palomino will not get in the trailer. We have had trailer in pasture with his food in it for a week now and he will not go into it. We've tried the strap wrapped behind him and he jumped it. We've tried tapping him behind the legs and on the butt with a crop, and I do mean tap, more of a brush than a tap even. wE HAVE WALKED HIM IN SO MANY CIRCLES WE ARE DIZZY..LOL We are at wit's end with him. We leased a pasture right behind our house and we are trying to get him moved to here so we can work with him more. HHEEELLLLLP!! aNY IDEA'S??
Old 10-23-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Yearling Member

Get a long about 14 ft lead rope with a leather popper on the end , also use a rope halter for this..

Start with simple things like disengageing his hindquarters. To do this , crouch a little and stare at his hip points , obviously hes not going to move yet , but start swinging the lead at the ground. He'll try to lounger , but thats not what you want. Keep hitting the ground or him until he cross's his back legs over each-other.
Once he does this release all pressure..
Do this on both sides until he is good at it.

Now hes at a point where you can load him in the trailer..

Take the lead and ONLY give him enough room to get a head into the trailer. He doesnt need enough to get around it or away from you..
Start swinging the lead at a point behind his hips to drive him forward.
Everytime he makes an honest attempt to go forward RELEASE all pressure.
Eventually your going to put more pressure on him until hes in.
Even though he'll be in , let him back out and repeat until its an easy thing to do..

Have you ever seen a gelding better built and more talented then your stud? Then he needs to be a gelding to!
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Started

Does he panic when you try to load him or is he just stubburn? If it's stubborness try picking up one foot and placing it on the ramp. Then if he doesn't walk up pick up the other. Just do this slowly and when you've made even a little progress (him walking a step on his own) praise and give it a rest if he starts to resist. It's always good to end on a good note. Long process but might be worth it. If he's just going nuts try a bit of quietex. It will take the edge off so you can work without all the nerves.
Hideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
Yearling Member

I feel for you

I feel for you.Had a Percheron once who had loaded like a dream so many times...when I had to move him to another state/owner. He decided NOT to load at all.@ 2,000 pounds He finally loaded after 14 hours of working him.

My advice to you. actually a few things: do you have a horse that will load. load him/her in the trailer and the other will usually follow(does not teach how to load but will get the initial trip going)

Look at the trailer is there any thing that is frightening him? some times the over hang is so scary to them. the floor too slippery?

Do not rush him/her to load...nice a slow, circle him/her outside the trailer and then get the front feet in...after the front feet go in, ask him/her to back out...circle a few more times outside the trailer...do this over and over gain till you have him all the way in the trailer.

take your time................We call it "horse time".
Old 10-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
ron
Started

are you trying to put him in a little 2 horse straight or a larger stock trailer?

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
Newborn Member

He's going into a 3 horse slant load.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
ron
Started

open all doors and windows

run a long rope through front window and back to back where you can be with him and hold rope at same time.

just keep a little pressure on him when he stops, let up when he moves forward and then put pressure back on.

may take all day....may take a few minutes

if you have removable rear tack....take it out too.

need it to look as big as it can.

if you have access to a big ol stock trailer....borrow it to get him moved. Same process.

you can't pull him in or push him in
it's gotta be his idea.

sometimes putting in his buddy helps things along

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
Yearling Member

I swear by the Clinton Anderson trailer loading video. It covers the groundwork stuff that someone else mentioned and shows it step-by-step. That method literally saved my horse from being murdered by yours truly. After doing the CA groundwork and loading method I can just halter her, lead her near the trailer and point...she'll walk right in. She'd probably tie herself up too, if she could.
husker_girl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
Newborn Member

I had the same problem with my app. I put her on a long lead line, fed it inside the trailer through a side window (have some hold it on the side of the trailer, light tention), that way she pointed in the right direction. I stood next to her and tap her hind quarter with a crop and pointed into the trailer, if she moved forward praised her, tap again and point, if she doesn't go in shake lightly a plastic bag behind her pointing into the trailer, then she jumped right in! I only used the bag twice. Now she walks right in. This was the only thing that worked for me Good luck.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice