Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
Coming two

Old age

Hi,
What has been your oldest horses age? After hearing that Midnight is 41 from a post that really surprised me!

Appaloosa--brains, looks, and temperment all in one
appygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:47 AM   #2
Bombproof Member

My oldest mare was 30 when she passed away. Her sister was 28 and the other geriatric mare in the package deal was 26. All three were TB's, labeled as no longer useful, so were just turned out to "pasture" with little or no care until we got them. We were able to provide for them some well-deserved pampering and family love for the last 4 years of their lives.

As it stands now, my oldest is 12. But it's early in the year. Many people start to dump the "useless" right before winter.

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #3
Coming two

My oldest horse was 25 when he died. He was a draft pony, he had heaves and cushings and a bunch of other health problems. If it weren't for that I think he would have lived much longer.

The oldest horse I have right now is 20, he's a mini stallion. I also have an 18 year old rescue mare who is heavey that I hope will make it to her 20's as well.

It's those "useless" ones that end up making the best horses
Old 09-14-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
Weanling Member

The oldest one I've ever owned was a TWH mare. We had to have her put down at age 28 because of cancer in her sinuses, she couldn't breath anymore. If it hadn't been for the cancer I think she'd still be here. The new mare we just bought is 16 and looks and acts like an 8yo.
magicma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
Started

My oldest horse, well pony, was a grey and white shetland pony named Pickles who sadly passed away at the age of 38. He was my Mom's pony when she was a little girl and all of my sisters and I learned to ride on him as well. His only vice was that whenever we went through water, no matter how deep, could even have been a little puddle, he would drop and try to roll us into it. Crazy little guy. We had so much fun on him though. We also had a black shetland pony mare named Black Beauty, Boo Boo for short who lived to be 30. Her only vice was that when we first got on her, she would have to get her 5 bucks out, but after that, she was the perfect mount. We would ride her and Pickles "roman style" around the farm and just thought we were such cool little trick riders. It's been years since they have passed, but I still think of them often and will always cherish the memories and will forever be grateful to those two for putting up with us girls
kindredspiritsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:27 AM   #6
Bombproof Member

My oldest horse is at least 30 according to my vet and farrier (no papers so we're not really sure), then I have a 27 year old, 15 year old and 10 year old pony. I am really fortunate that so far, none of them have any health problems.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
Bombproof Member

TheUpNorthCowgirl wrote:

Quote:
It's those "useless" ones that end up making the best horses
I couldn't agree more!

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:14 AM   #8
Yearling Member

The oldest horse I've had was Casey, my first horse whom I sold at the age of 12 after having him for 5 years.

At this point, my oldest horse is 6 years old. I'm selling her, and then my oldest will be 2. I've only ever had 3 horses, and still have 2 of them.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #9
Halter broke

My oldest that's confirmed by her papers is 23. I have an old rescue gelding who we have no idea how old he is ~ vet said he was atleast 12, but probably much older. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's thirty.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
Weanling Member

I have a 20 ish pony mare, but my friend has a 40 year old pony gelding and still takes him on group trail rides almost every week and he keeps up with the big guys!

Chelsea
LilRedHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
Seasoned

We had a old Morgan when I was a kid that made it to 44. Right now my oldest is 21.
thumpersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #12
Coming two

Old Ones

I think Morgans must live about the longest, next to ponies. I just saw an old vet friend of mine the other day and he was suprised that Midnight is still around but he says he has two old Morgans ages 36 and 38, so I guess he shouldn't be so suprised. Oldest horse on record was 52 or 53 and oldest pony was over 60 I believe.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:15 PM   #13
Bombproof Member

Please don't tell me I could be stuck with the brat pony for the next 50 years! Just kidding, I really do like her, but she's definitely got that "pony" personality.

My old farrier also had a Morgan that lived to be 38; stomach cancer was his undoing. They rode him quite a bit up to the end and he looked great!

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:29 PM   #14
Seasoned

Stomach cancer is what got our old man too. Mom was riding him up until a few months before he had to be put down. We couldn't put a saddle on him anymore, but he kept up with the younger horses. Morgans do seem to be tough horses.
thumpersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #15
Yearling Member

My grandmother just had to have her appy mare put down, she had cancer. She was 28. She has a gelding out of that mare who is 22. The other two mares are 18, and one that is only 10. My lone mare is only 7, a youngin' yet.
theloneappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 AM   #16
Long Yearling

I have a 28 year old that I have had for 21 years. I lost my 27 year old POA five months ago. Miss her bad, I had her for 14 years Year before I lost my 25 year old QH gelding to a broken shoulder. He would have gone on longer, healthy, but arthritic. Was trying to keep up with the younger ones My next younger one down is 18, I've had her for 17 years.

The oldest I've had was a shetland pony, she was about 32 or so, when she passed.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #17
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to chappel16 Send a message via Yahoo to chappel16
I have a 37 soon to be 38 yr old appy/TB cross. He is arthritic, blind and deaf, but yes still very happy. Here is his pic!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...l16/Silver.jpg
Old 09-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #18
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Oldest horse I have now is 17. But the oldest horse Ive owned lived to a ripe age of 37, and the oldest pony, who is STILL alive today, is now going on 49! Goin for the record, he's still very active, good teeth and great shape. Well I no longer have him, I gave him to a great friend that needed a companion for their Arabian mare, about 4 or 5 years ago.

Brittany

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice