Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
Started

Thoughts on owning?

Hello, everyone!

I've been a member here for eleven years, but I haven't logged in for over two years. The most recent post I made here was explaining that we had to put my senior horse down, and after that, I just didn't really log in again.

I'm looking for honest opinions. I am in my late twenties, and I am married. My husband and I have no children yet (as we have battled with infertility for the last two years). I am an elementary school teacher, and I'm currently enrolled in a Master's program for education. We have three cats and a very high maintenance dog that requires a lot of attention. Basically, I'm super busy!

Yet, I keep finding myself wishing so desperately to own a horse again. It comes and it goes. Lately, I've been really captivated by the idea of it again, but I am not sure if it's something I should pursue. I wanted to make a list of pros and cons, and maybe you all could help me make the best decision. I'm truly at an impasse! I'm conflicted, because owning another horse makes me so happy, but then I also feel stressed at the thought of it.

Pros:
-Happiness!

-Getting to ride again.

-Getting to bond with an animal.

-Fulfilling a long lost and very missed passion.

-Exercise for myself.

-Having a hobby.

Cons:
-We can afford board, but we would need to be smarter with our money.

-There aren't really any good boarding places near me. I don't want my house to be far away because then I feel like it will be much more difficult for me to go and see them.

-I'm busy. Like, super busy. Many days I don't even find time to walk my dog around the neighborhood. What makes me think I'll have time for a horse?

-What if I get pregnant? I won't be riding...it's just too risky with everything that we have endured in trying.

So, basically, my reasons to do it are all "feel good" reasons. My reasons against it are slightly more realistic, but then I get left with the saddest feeling that I'm missing valuable years of doing what I love. I tried lessons, but I couldn't get into it. There was something about coming in, riding a random horse, and leaving immediately after that just didn't feel like "home" to me. I want a setting where I can come and go as I please, groom my horse, work with my horse, teach him things, make friends, go riding, etc. I guess going from "owner" to strictly "student" was just a huge adjustment. I felt so limited.

What do you all think? Honest opinions! And, if you think I should move forward with it...do you have tips on balancing everything?

Thanks!!! Good to talk to everyone, again!

6 Year Member
BornToRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:47 AM   #2
Yearling Member

haven't logged on in a long time too. but miss the forum because people really discuss here.

About getting a horse: if you have the space where you live and don't have to keep him far away, I say go for it. But, if you have to pay to keep him somewhere and travel to see him don't.

Also, prioritize things in your life and work to eliminate some of the things that make you too busy. Good luck.
Hicoteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Yearling Member

Have you thought about leasing?
I know it's not personally owning, but do you have any friends who still own horses? See if any need some ride time?
You can always look into a free lease or a small lease.
I wish you luck in your search!
Bolbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:14 PM   #4
Bombproof Member

I do love my boys, really I do.

But I just have this overwhelming urge to scream "run, save yourself" to anyone looking to own a horse.

Again, I do love them. But the constant upkeep, responsibility, and risk of things going wrong is just always always always there.

I can't recommend strongly enough to just take lessons for a while, then move into leasing if you really want that bond with a critter.

Good luck in your decision tho. I wish I had $5 for every time I DIDN'T take someone's advice when I was in my 20's.
Lady_MCSE is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice