Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Coming two

Colic

I was chatting with Henry's breeder I found out at his sire died of colic at 10 years old (Piper B). I have never had a horse that coliced *knock on wood* and have only been around 3 horses in various stages of colic.

- I've been doing some research to see if it's hereditary to be pre-disposed to colic. Has anyone had experience with colic being hereditary (breeders?)

Found this: http://www.ker.com/library/proceedin...alence_p17.pdf

One quote:
"While colic may affect horses of any breed, several studies suggest an increased incidence of disease in Arabian (Cohen et al., 1995) or Thoroughbred (Traub-Dargatz et al., 2001) horses. Standardbreds, gaited horses, and Warmblood stallions have an apparent increase in incidence of inguinal hernias due to the increased size of their inguinal rings (Schneider et al., 1982)"

- Any tips on prevention? I have done a bit of reading on this but am always open to more ideas.
apollojunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Kid Safe

Well the inguinal ring ones are hereditary, around here it's pretty common with Tennessee walker stallions. It's not impossible but more unlikely in a gelding.

In general, it's really not genetic. Proper care, TB's get it most likely due to the high grain diet. Just good horsekeeping practices, not over feeding grain, keep a horse on a regular worming schedule, good weight, mostly hay diet, fresh water, watching out for poisonous plants..

Sometimes the best kept horse can colic, but in general, I wouldn't say your horse is going to colic before he's 10 because his sire did.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
management is one of the biggest common denominator of colic than anything else
Sirita mentioned several factors.
Horses that are confined, thus lack ability to move, are fed high grain diets , fed dry forage, and don't drink enough, are all high colic risks
Movement in integral to digestion for horses
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice