Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Halter broke

Ideas on how to Pamper/Reward your Horse?

Hi Everyone,
Long time no post! Life has been kicking my butt first class! Long story short, lost my job earlier this year because I broke my ankle (it's okay they were #[email protected]!! anyway) but am now on the job hunt, luckily my Fiancé has been a GOD and has taken over everything so we can keep the horses! (Gotta Love a guy like that!) My ankle has now healed and we've been trail riding almost every weekend (weather permitting) Honestly my horses are what keeps me sane! Which leads to the reason for this post:

Last weekend we went out like we always do, it was gorgeous day and we had a great time! I had butterflies landing on the horses, saw a hummingbird, a hawk, rabbits, tons of neat stuff! Wee we ended up going further then we usually do and found a dirt road so we took it thinking it would head back towards the farm...We were Wrong... Or rather it did, after a few miles on the ROAD including a harrowing stretch going alongside a MAJOR HIGHWAY!!!! Now neither of the horses we were on were really experienced "Road" horses, I mean we might walk alongside one a bit to get into the next field or trail break but nothing like what they had to do this past weekend... They were PERFECT! At one point, I made a tactical error and tried to steer my guy down off the edge of the road and onto the shoulder...to get to the shoulder I'd have to cross a freaking concrete half pipe! (They made it that way for drainage I suppose) but I didn't realize just how narrow it was on the bottom....my poor horse went to walk down in and SLID! (The sound of hooves sliding on pavement? Nightmare Material for Weeks!) I swear I thought we were going down! I threw my reins up his neck to let him try and catch himself, which he did... I will shamefully admit here that I was screaming like a banshee and shaking like a little kid, not a whole lot of help for my horse who calmly sorted himself out and stood there, a little bug eyed but no worse for wear. (He even swung his head back to look at me like "Mom? You alright back there?!" LOL!) My fiancé kept saying "You have got to calm down... he's okay! you're okay..." Meanwhile I was ready to call my Barn owner and offer her my immortal soul if she'd come pick us up with the trailer! We kept going, having to walk along the highway, and deal with LOVELY individuals who thought it was great fun to scream like maniacs out the windows of the car, honking and whatnot to spook the horses... man I wish I could've thrown something! Between that and dodging all the litter on the edges of the road, (broken glass bottles, beer cans plastic bags) we happily took the path leading back into the woods (could you blame us?!) except it turned out to make a huge circle... So now, after fighting bugs, trees and sinking in muck up to our knees we ended up back on the road! At this point I'm ready to cry, all I want to do is get my horses home and sponged down and forget this ever happened! God Bless them they just kept walking along, calm and strangely enough happy to be out! Eventually we stopped at a parking lot by a warehouse and I finally called my Barn owner, determined to have her come get us, she would be able to pull the trailer in here no problem and... as I mumbled to here that we were lost and where we were she bursts out laughing saying "Honey, you're right by the barn! go across the street, walk along that field, you'll be home in less then 5 minutes!" *Que death from embarrassment here!* Sure enough about 3 minutes later, Thank You Sweet Lord! we were back at the farm! After a sponge down with liniment and water, liniment for their legs and a fresh coat of bug spray (not that it does anything I swear the bugs around here consider it seasoning! ) hoof picking, hoof dressing and treats galore they ambled out to their pasture to go eat some more. My question is what can I do to reward them for being so good?! (For saving our butts?!) I feel like they earned "Horse of the Millennium" awards for that! (Talk about acid test! "Hey let's see if you guys can do roads by doing a few miles on the HIGHWAY!!" Oh and don't mind your clueless riders!) But short of more grooming or treats I can't think of what to give them...they don't play with toys, could care less about new tack....I'm at a loss! I guess it really drives home that we're the ones who care about ribbons, trophies and all that stuff! To them they're just so simple, fresh water, some carrots or an apple or two, a good rub down.... anyone have any ideas????
(Sorry for the novel guys!!! Hope I didn't bore you all to death! )
Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
aes
Greenbroke Member

LOL they probably already have long forgotten about it. Their reward was a nice grooming and getting turned back out. Just be glad you have good horses and if you really want to buy them things, do so, but realize they are for YOU and your horses could really care less as long as they have food, water, shelter, and some buddies. I think horses understand when we are grateful, and when we love and respect them.
aes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Weanling Member

some might critise me for this, But My when I'm at the store i will usually buy my gelding an iced honey bun or an apple pie, and he loves twinkies..he will chase me down for any of those..but twinkies and a honey bun are his FAVORITE!!! ...today i went out there called his name and he came running to me..of course i had an apple pie waiting for him....

BTW.. I dont do this everyday..just for a treat now and then
Old 08-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Started

Two of mine love Sonic (fast food place here) Strawberry/Banana Smoothies - they do not like just the strawberry ones, only like the one with bananas too
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Kid Safe

Bannanas have always ranked high in horsey taste test that I have seen.

Artificial Maple flavor does too (maple bannana smoothie?)

How about getting a book on equine massage?

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
Yearling Member

Just a touch of molasses in his grain or the quaker oatmeal with apples is also a favorite in his grain. He also loves skittles and jolly ranchers! I have one of those hand vibrating massagers and he quite loves it on his neck and chest so that is also a treat for him too.
Dreaming Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Yearling Member

Our horses love Black Liquorice ) Love the idea of an apple pie though. I would love to watch my horses eat one of those )
Susycue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Greenbroke Member

Watermelon on a hot day!! Just roll it out in to the field. Mine will eat it like that -- rind and all.
Just don't pet them afterwards -- usually their faces are a sticky mess

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice