Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #181
Newborn Member

Now all of you are going to throws tomatoes at me , but riding is a sport like any other team sport , you have to be in shape to do it right , even more so because you have a team partner , to me riding and being overweight is lack of respect toward our friend , our horses .We try everything to get our partner in shape , but we don't care if has to carry 20 pounds more ? and we say "I love my horse so much " , care for his diet , his shape , but what about yours .
Also it doesn't matter if you going for just a stroll down the pasture or the Tevis cup.
No offense intended towards anyone , just my 2 cents
alebigio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #182
Started

Quote:
Now all of you are going to throws tomatoes at me , but riding is a sport like any other team sport , you have to be in shape to do it right , even more so because you have a team partner , to me riding and being overweight is lack of respect toward our friend , our horses .We try everything to get our partner in shape , but we don't care if has to carry 20 pounds more ? and we say "I love my horse so much " , care for his diet , his shape , but what about yours .
Also it doesn't matter if you going for just a stroll down the pasture or the Tevis cup.
No offense intended towards anyone , just my 2 cents
while I agree with you on one hand, If Someone said to me, "I really want to go mountain biking" and they were very large, I wouldn't say " no your too fat, you'll ruin the bike!!", but I would probably put them on a sturdy bike and go for a short, slower ride, and explain in a tactful way that they would need to work towards being in better shape so I could take them down a mountain.

I have fit back packs for human professionally, right up to people climbing Everest. You only want a small amount of weight on a persons back, for the average woman up to 50 lb, for the average man up to 70lb, max. There are guys who come in, especially mountain guides and high alpine hunters, who will pack 100-120 lb, over long distances. some people are better suited to weight carrying. these guys are almost all stocky, average height, moderately muscular. in fact most people, even small women, can carry large amounts of weight over short distances. in a similar way, if you have a strong horse that is sound, with a good fitting saddle, packing a larger rider at a walk for a few minutes will not hurt it. You wouldn't want to do it every day, faster than a walk, or for long distances.

Quote:
I started comfort eating after my parents split when I was five and by the time I wanted to do anything about it I was too heavy and wasn't motivated. I still comfort/bored eat but have been learning how to cut back.
you are never "too heavy", you can choose to make a change whenever you want. don't rely on an active job to magically remove the weight. You need to deal with the feelings that caused you to start emotionally eating, and change what made you get to this point. you likely need to change how you look at food and exercise, and make goals for your self.
Danni L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #183
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Stormcrow View Post
Does anyone have any advice or maybe you could tell me that it's okay for me to try riding? I've never really ridden a horse, not unless you count a pony when i was a kid lol.. But i've always wanted to ride a horse since I was a kid but figured I never could until I lost my weight... Thanks in advance for the advice
My advice ... find a riding facility that will let you ride. If calling by phone, be honest with them about your weight. If you want a little more adventure in your life and willing to put up with the eye rolls or raised eyebrows (I get to say this because I've lived it), then go to the barns in person so they can SEE you. Sometimes numbers just sound worse than they really are.

Then if\when you do actually get ready to ride, please keep in mind that the instructor makes ALL the difference in the world. About 10 years ago, I had not ridden for the previous 10 years. Did exactly what I described, went to several riding barns and was turned down by everyone with the eye rolls. On the 8th barn I got someoen who was willing to put me up on a horse. He knew I hadn't ridden in 10 years. He kept insisting that I trot, and made the whole half hour lesson all about trotting and what I coudln't do because I was out of shape.

Even a FIT person who hasn't ridden in 10 years might be likely to flop around in the saddle a little bit, but when you add extra weight to the mix, the flopping is even worse. So my 30 minute ride was torture on me, cannot have been good for the horse, and the instructor was finished up our time together with something to the effect of, "So I don't know if you want to keep this up ...." in an "i told you so" kind of tone. Dude, if you didn't want me to ride, just SAY so!!!

So.... what I ended up doing about 2 years after that was throwing an advertisement up online in which I stated plainly my weight and that I'd like to get back into riding, I was willing ot ShareBoard. I found an amazing person to shareboard from. I paid her the equivalent of a month's board on her second horse, and in exchange she gave me lessons that started out at grooming, groundwork, walking, balance, and it was probably a few weeks before I tried trotting.

It worked great for me and now I have 2 horses of my own. Haven't managed to lose teh weight, but my horses don't seem to care, and I always check them for back soreness.
Lady_MCSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #184
Long Yearling

weighing in

I feel the need to point out that there are people out there that jog, ride bikes, hike AND do other strenuous activity and still be considered overweight or obese. It seems that even the posters here are making evaluations on the physical appearance and not the physicality of the person with that body. Not fair to the person at all. I can appear overweight and be pretty darn physically fit -

The bias in our society to ostracize and judge those that are different is wrong. We need to be a kinder gentler world until we walk a mile in that persons shoes.

I can (and will) love my horse and love my chocolate chip cookie dough!
carshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #185
Newborn Member

Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it and i feel alot better now afterwards. I won't make excuses for how much I weigh because I know that I've done it to myself and have myself to blame but I am willing to do something about it, starting with managing my depression. Pretty positive the reason I eat is because I'm judged daily (get nasty looks, people calling me nasty names, although I should be used to it since it's been like that since I started gaining the weight lol). Even though my job is very active, I'm going to start eating a little healthier and take things one step at a time and be more active on my days off. The lady at the barn that I work at a few times a week seems to be really nice so I could probably talk to her about trying riding but she only has 2 of her own horses to choose from where the other 5 are boarders and some have health issues. So maybe one day I'll actually be healthy again and even be able to ride a horse. I know since I have no experience that it will take some time to get used to it and learn how to tack the horse up properly and how to ride properly (will definately stick to walking the horse to start and not running because I'm bound to go flying LOL) looking forward to reading more positive stories from y'all
Jenni Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #186
Newborn Member

Walked more than a mile in that person shoes , was that person , never judged anyone by his/her look , not that shallow , but we talking about a team here , not just a physical activity , or using a mechanical device , pretty different from a living , feeling being.
Anyone is entitled to their opinions , just one last point : on the track weight is added to handicapp a horse , this is what made me change . Tip of the hat to all, close it here
alebigio is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice