Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Frugal Living and Money Saving Ideas
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Yearling Member

Buying gifts from the thrift store. Yay nor nay?

What is your opinion on buying gifts for birthdays, christmas, etc from a thrift store/antique store/used etc.

I ask because I've bought my gifts from the thrift store for the past 3 or so years. I'm able to get a lot more for my money that way and I do find some nice stuff.

For example this year I bought my best friend a unique mug, a few books that were hardly used that she said she wanted and then went to the grocery store and bought her some tea. Spent just around $5.

Bought my aunt a penguin bowl, 2 penguin ornaments, and a cute penguin stuffed animal. (See the theme? ) for just around $6 with 50% off. So I only spent the $6 for a good amount of stuff.

My grandma got 2 brand new Willow Tree angels that I found.

However, I told my coworker that and she was sincerely shocked.

So, what do you think?
multigraincheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Greenbroke Member

Wouldn't bother me, who cares, the last few times I've went on vacation people have commented on my lovely dresses I wear in the evening, it's always the ones I bought for $2 or $5 at goodwill
Lorddaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #3

I have done shopping at the thrift stores. I usually find something there for someone.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Yearling Member

When I asked my daughter (age 14) what she wanted for Christmas, she asked me to take her to her favorite thrift store for new jeans. You can often find some really nice stuff that is otherwise not affordable, so I think it's fine to shop at thrift stores for gifts.
supertwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Yearling Member

Most of my shopping is done at thrift shops, tag sales, ebay and dollar stores. Yes some of co-workers are shocked too. Who cares- my gifts are super cool & I wear better clothes than they do lol! And I got my really warm fleece riding tights and new reins on ebay for $9- hah!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Kid Safe

Classic situation for "Don't ask, don't tell"
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Yearling Member

Great idea!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Kid Safe

Who cares where it comes from. What's important that it is the gift that makes someone smile.

Some real treasure can be found in the most unlikely places.
dreamcleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Bombproof Member

It's the thought that counts.

If the items are still in good shape, why not.

We have a lot of up scale thrift stores here. Nice stuff for what you are paying.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Seasoned

I've successfully bought at thrift stores, yard sales and auctions. If the gift looks new and is right for the person you want to give it to, has it lost value somehow if you didn't buy it at a pricy retail store? Will the person appreciate it less? I don't think so.

I'd rather help the local thrift store.
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Yearling Member

I've never shopped at a thrift store myself, but if the items purchased are thoughtful and look new, then I don't see an issue with it. I personally wouldn't purchase something that appeared to be used for a gift, though.
whippetlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Weanling Member

Its the thought that counts!! It shouldn't matter where the gift came from, its all about the care and thought that goes into the giving of the gift.

......and I LOVE thift stores!! I always get some of my best stuff at the Value Village!!
minnowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Weanling Member

When money was tight I often shopped at thrift stores so I would have enough money for my horses. There are some great bargains and with careful shopping you can find quality items nearly new which I would never afford to buy otherwise.
I wore a uniform at work and had made arrangements to go out to dinner with friends but I forgot to bring "dress cloths" to work that day. Instead of making a long drive home and back to town, I went to Value Village, bought a top and pair of slacks for less money than I would have spent on gas. Got some complements on my outfit too!
I have not shopped for gifts there except for children"s clothes or a book that I know someone wants and I see it there.
I do believe in recycling as much as possible and don't think there is anything wrong with buying used items.
Bonny41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
ray
Long Yearling

My family does it all the time..i have no issue with it..one of my favorite things i got from an aunt was a palomino figure..i have a palomino and love it..i asked where she got it and it came from a thrift store..it was a very personal gesture and i love it more than something that was just randomly purchased at walmart or whatever..she saw it and thought of me..very unique

If wishes were horses, then beggers would ride!
ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
ray
Long Yearling

Actually now that im thinking about it..i know a young lady who dosnt have alot that has been making her xmas gifts..last year she drew me a portrait of our dogs and i was so so proud of it i showed everyone..had no idea how talented she is..this year it was a christmas decoration that is just lovely..its like a glass block with lights inside..looks like a present..another freind does homemade ornaments..i think thats another awsome idea..

If wishes were horses, then beggers would ride!
ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
I love thrift stores. I recently bought a lovely, nearly new rocking chair at my favorite resale shop, and my daughter got a gorgeous winter coat at Goodwill. It's knee length, a french vanilla color and has a big fake fur collar for only $10. You can really find some wonderful "treasures". I certainly wouldn't mind getting something from a thrift shop as a gift.

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Seasoned

IMO, you do what you gotta do. When I was in college, a wonderful mentor told me to never pay retail. Told me about thrift store shopping. I shopped sales for years. When I hit 40 and 40 hit back, I gained weight rapidly. Couldn't afford to get into new because of DH's employment status. So I hit the thrift stores. Eventually, DD started going with me. Then DM. Have found a couple of things for DH, but not as much. He was embarrassed, actually, when he confronted me about all of my new clothes. What'd you spend on THAT? $3.75. It was an orange day.

Gifts? Heck, yeah. I've received things that were thrift-store purchases. And, as someone said above, it was definitely FOR me, and it was perfect.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
Seasoned

It would not bother me. If it is something I would like/use and is in good shape or a vintage find (I love vintage things) then I am all for it.

I shop almost exclusively at thrift stores. Most of my clothes are name brand, but bought at thrift stores. I love it

I even find horsey brands at thrift stores.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #19
Yearling Member

Last year a 'thrift store shopper' friend of mine got married. I gave her a gift certificate to one of the shops that her and I frequented.... she said it was the best gift she got. I love those places.
However, a couple of years ago a coworker of mine was wearing a jumper that she had just gotten from a local Goodwill. When she wore it to school, a woman from another dept. approached her and commented how lovely she looked and wanted to know if she had bought the matching blouse! She said it was a set and she had dropped it off recently. My friend thanked her and we went back to look for the blouse.
Mississippi Mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
Weanling Member

I usually buy my barn clothes in the thrift store, can't see spending a lot of money on something to clean stalls in. Last fall I bought a pair of boots, brand new, they were a size too large for me but had a good heel and were fleece lined. I wore them yesterday with a thick pair of woolen sox when I was riding with friends, and I was the only one in the group that didn't have cold feet when we finished. Because I didn't pay much for them I don't care if I use them for working in the barn either.
Bonny41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Frugal Living and Money Saving Ideas