Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Frugal Living and Money Saving Ideas
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Bombproof Member

Years ago my bro and his wife started shopping thrift stores for themselves. When their daughter arrived she too was outfitted from those stores. They were frugal and by penny pinching they were able to afford a month long back packing trip around north Africa.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #22
Bombproof Member

My brother and his wife are thrifty shoppers. Their wardrobes came from goodwill. They didn't own a car for years, instead preferring to walk. With all the money they saved they did a back-packing trip of Europe, often walking or using travel passes. Hostels were plentiful so that's often where they'd bunk down for the night. If one can walk for miles in a coastal city nestled in the mountains, walking in most places in Europe was a piece of cake.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #23
Halter broke

Nothing wrong with thrift store buying as a gift if it's something in great shape you KNOW the person will appreciate. But PLEASE check the pockets first, I once got a pair of jeans with a pricey store tag the giver had put in a fancy box. They were white (a color I'm not seen in), the wrong size, and there was a used tissue in the pocket. When I said I'd have to exchange them, she told me she'd do it for me, she never showed her face again, never got the replacement either. Between friends and relatives that know you thrift shop, I see no problem, but I'd use caution with others.
whathaveidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #24
Weanling Member

i did a majority of my christmas shopping last year at a local flea market.

the gift receiver does not need to know where you got the gift or the amount you paid for it. the gift should come 'from the heart' and be something that you personally chose for that person to receive. knowing a person and finding them just the right gift is what's important in my books.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:58 AM   #25
Halter broke

Don't get me wrong, thrift store buying is economical and smart (my kitchen chairs don't match, but they were cheap). I'm just saying that if the item still had a tag from a nice store, don't pretend it's returnable when you gift it. I'm always keeping my eyes open at rummage sales and thrift stores for older mixing spoons and spatulas (newer ones just don't have the quality/durability they used to build in)
whathaveidone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #26
Halter broke

It is the THOUGHT that counts.

Not the dollar amount behind the gift.

Saltys Red Rock ~ 2006 AQHA gelding ~ "Red"
CK Grey Meatball ~ 2011 AQHA gelding ~ "Shotgun" (Baby)

beau159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #27
Weanling Member

Some of my favorite gifts came from a thrift store....My sister (who has passed) gave them to me.
Brandi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Frugal Living and Money Saving Ideas