Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Regional Chat > Forum for Florida
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Halter broke

Equine Dentist

I am looking for an equine dentist that does not sedate as well as feedback from anyone that has had this done. My vet does a great job but he sedates and the cost to have 6 done is alot. I just figured if I could save on the sedation (and it is not painful to them) that would be great. Anyone have comments or feed back? Anyone know of someone in West Volusia County area or that will travel to the area?
Thank you,
seloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Weanling Member

I highly recommend Dr. Geoff Tucker of http://www.theequinepractice.com/

He travels the eastern seaboard from New York state down through Florida, so he's always down this way every month or so.

I've seen him work firsthand with a VERY excitable thoroughbred, and in 30 seconds he started working with that horse and never had one issue. He never had to use a harsh word or action, and no sedation or rack with a speculum to wrench the horses mouth open or keep his head stable. I was absolutely amazed and I won't use anyone else on my horses...he made me a believer!

Good luck!!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Bombproof Member

The equine dentist I use only comes to Fla in the winter. Sorry I reccomend him though , he is great.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Weanling Member

The Equine Dentist we use doesn't sedate and she is excellent however I don't know if she travels that far. she is in the Plant City area. PM if interested and I can give you her phone number.
flmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
Long Yearling

I use Charles Verts. He was great. He's real old school, but not roughl. No sedation, just the metal mouth thing and he didn't even use that the whole time.

His ad says he serves central FL. Last time I had him out it was 50.00 a head. His numbers are 352-690-6103 cell 352-895-7548

~~"All that we love deeply becomes part of us" ~~
Helen Keller
Horsie Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Halter broke

I will check some of these out. I searched old posts as well and there is a lot of debate on whether it is as good if the do not sedate or do not use the speculum, whether they can get those back teeth well enough...I have 2 minis that need to be done as well.
seloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Weanling Member

I highly recommend Geoff Tucker also. He does a great job without sedating and has done my minis and big horses without a problem. As previously said he also travels and has others working for him now that use his methods. I think you can look him up under Equine Dentistry without drama or something like that. I've seen him at different barns and I've seen him sedate a horse once and that was my friend's stallion who refused to cooperate several times
Lil Bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #8
Yearling Member

dont know nay in your area. but our ED will sedate if he has too. such as for a tooth pulling and Zar has to be sedated to file him, he has a cracked tooth which isnt ready pull but still hurts to get filed. he also uses amultitude of equpiment. I would say he only sedated the horse if absolutly necessary. like when he had to get the grinder out! um yeah sedate me too! LOL

gaylaah kaizar magic
Reyvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Regional Chat > Forum for Florida